Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:35 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Great for lowering the cost of tele that's what I think...
That's what I'm thinking. I'm warming up to the idea of having that many pixels in smaller sensor.

I've made many an 8x10" print from 2 Megapixel Images. 2 Megapixels is borderline. But, 3 Megapixels is plenty from my perspective for the print sizes I use. :-)

If they can keep the quality up, the idea of stuffing 12MP into an APS-C sensor is growing on me since I could even crop quite a bit and still get usable prints. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:35 AM   #32

Quote:
I totally understand why some folks need ISO3200 (now 6400), but 95% of the population never go above ISO400! How did everyone survived in the film days then?
Fast prime lenses and push processing.

------------------------ Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 AM   #33
NHL

BillP2R wrote:
Quote:
Fast prime lenses and push processing.
Agree - but have you seen thoses grainy results as compared to what we are getting today? :-)

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. I'm warming up to the idea of having that many pixels in smaller sensor.
See how Oly did it - 10Mp in a 2x crop
-> A Bigma becomes a 100-1000mm effective focal lenght (with VR in the body to boot)
Look @ how much weight you're leaving behind plus the 4/3 matches most print materials!
(That's equivalent to a 14Mp 2:3 dSLR after the crop on both sides...)

I guess Nikon thought about it too with all the possible crop options on their D3 :idea:

BTW the Nikon posted images for download are great (even @ low ISO) - It's best to check them for details in the shadows and highlights where the contents are at both end of the histogram (and not the middle) where the problematic areas are!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Agree - but have you seen thoses grainy results as compared to what we are getting today?
I remember them well.

As far as I'm concerned, these are the good old days. I can shoot as much as I want (instead of what I could afford) and the results are better.

(And I much prefer working at a computer in the den than downstairs in the darkroom!)

------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:30 PM   #35
Administrator

I use higher ISO speed Fuji (800, 1600) color film from time to time (Superia, Superia X-Tra).

Unfortunately, the film scan results are terrible from the local discount processors (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Ritz/Wolf), and I want good scans of the film if I'm going to use it, without the hassle of doing it myself.

Smaller prints are usually OK (I'll have 4x6" prints made at the same time I'm getting it processed and scanned). But, you'd never know they'd come out that well by looking at the scans). lol

The scans I've gotten at these vendors locally look more like they have scanner noise than grain (or perhaps a little of both), and I'm not going through the hassle of doing it myself or the expense of having done by someone other than the discount processors.

Digital definitely wins in my book.

Old Sep 25, 2007, 4:35 PM   #36

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I use higher ISO speed Fuji (800, 1600) color film from time to time (Superia, Superia X-Tra).

Unfortunately, the film scan results are terrible from the local discount processors (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Ritz/Wolf), and I want good scans of the film if I'm going to use it, without the hassle of doing it myself.

Smaller prints are usually OK (I'll have 4x6" prints made at the same time I'm getting it processed and scanned). But, you'd never know they'd come out that well by looking at the scans). lol

The scans I've gotten at these vendors locally look more like they have scanner noise than grain (or perhaps a little of both), and I'm not going through the hassle of doing it myself or the expense of having done by someone other than the discount processors.

Digital definitely wins in my book.

Hiya Jim,

Well, not to be blunt but what did you expect taking film to those places. They're usually manned by minumum wage monkies who work there because they need the work. Not because they are into photography. Not because they are interested increating a long lasting relationship with the client. Or really care if the customers are really happy with the print. Nor do they really give a dam about the job itself. A lot ofwhom are still in high school. At lest that's usually how it up here in Toronto. In such cases you definitely do get what you pay for IMHO.

Ocassionally, if you're lucky, you (we...here in Toronto) do find the odd small bricks/mortar shop with a developer who actually knows his craft. Giving you good results on a choice of high grade archival paper even.

I don't know how the photography market is in Savannah but up here there are tons of specialty developer houses. That usually cater to "professionals" and corporations.

We also have a Kokak developing location I think at the Canadian Kokak corporate building. Not sure if it's the Canadian headquarters. Any how they have the latest and greatest gear. And qualified people doing the work. I think they also service mostly the "professional" (I hate the word "professional"...sounds so pretentious)photography industry but will also do work for the average joe. My parents used them a few times.

Any how, as far as film vs. digital...I do think digital is more "convenient" and cost effective. Whether you're a absolute beginner just learning. Interested in photography only as a hobby. Or a working photographer watching the bottom line. But has for which format is better all thigns considered...I thinkis a personal choice.

Though, I did listen to a podcast/interview where a noted working photographer said B/W photos are better using film cameras and color photos using digital.Keeping in mindthat's just one man's opinion.

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:31 AM   #37
Administrator

That was my point (you can't get good high ISO results from the discount processors). That's why using a dSLR is a better way to go. ;-)

Quote:
Old Sep 29, 2007, 12:22 AM   #38

Nikon USA just posted a few interesting D3 pics. Whereas, the D300 only has 2 offical shots of a HaWG. What's up? Could there be some problems already in production of the D300? Hmmm....
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:50 PM   #39

Update for Canadians!

I was just at the Aden Cameras website and noticed they had again reduced their asking price for both the D300 and D3. The cameras aren't even expected here till December.

Any how, the D300 is now listed for $1999.95. Down $100.00.

The D3, is now $5499.95! Down $600.00!!

I wonder how much the pricing will be come December.

Any how, I'll still most likely go for the D300. But at the rate they are already discounting the price of the D3 I might be pleading "temporary insanity" in December and pickup a D3.

Part 2 (Oct 12th, 2007):

I just looked at the Nikon Canada website and it seems the price rediuction was not part of one shops doing. But that Nikon Canada is now offering "introductory pricing". And knowing how this shop, Aden Camera is so competitive, maybe we (Canadians) will see further price reductions come December after all.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 6:02 AM   #40

That's good news! let's hope they'll continue dropping the price before it hits the shelves.
Doubt it though.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote