Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 10, 2007, 9:08 AM   #41

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
It's amazing what they managed to do.
Canon's 40D and 1D versions are left behind. Although the 1Ds mk3 still beats nikon in megapixels, but everybody knows mega pixels don't matter that much.

Nikon D3 and D300 get 9fps at full resolution!! and 11 without focus tracking. That's pretty sick.
And ISO 25.000? I never knew it existed, but Nikon pulled it off (partially thanks to sony).

Although Nikon had some disappointing releases in the past, these 2 cameras are definitely amazing me.
(i love how they took some of Canon's features and upgraded them Nikon style).

P.S. i'm no fan boy
Hiya Chris,

As for more price dropping before the D300/D3 arrive...who knows. I mean they already began discounting and they are still 2 months away from putting the two DSLRs to market. Officially anyway.

And as for the specs you listed...they only apply to the D3 (e.g. 9 and 11 fps). The D300 can "only" do 6 and 8 fps (8 when using the vertical grip attachment using any battery type but the EN-EL3e...though we don't yet know that the fps will be when using the D2Xs/D3 battery....will have to wait for the test resports).

The picture samples Nikon USA has provided for the D3 are impressive. Take a look at the detail on the fireman picture. Not sure how much PP work was done on it. But WOW!!

Where are the D300 pictures? There are only 2 right now. Doesn't really show what the D300 is capable of. I think they are also low ISO pics too. Could be wrong.

If they got hold of a preproduction D3 to take the pictures they have at Nikon USA wuldn't they also have a D300? Why haven't they posted more pics? :P

Any how...back to waiting....heh....
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:07 PM   #42
NHL

Actually if you pre-order the D300 from Ritz the $1799 already included shipping and taxes so it's already discounted...

I don't know why people are so skeptical about the high ISO noise - Most people don't shoot at high ISO plus Nikon don't put out junk (or any other camera maker for that matter) If the D300 can touch what the D2x does for 1/2 the price that's already a considerable achievement... They are not going to put the option of ISO-6400 if the 3200 setting is useless are they? You can already see early samples from the similarly based A700 sensor @ high ISO albeit at only 12-bit conversion... (again why put in a 14-bit option if the 12-bit is not useable?)

-> This camera is trying to do what the D40/D40x does at the low-end:
It's putting a new floor in the advanced amateur/pro market and complement the D3 extremely well... (surpassing the 40D and squeezing the 1DMrkIII right in the middle!)

IMO the demand for this camera will be great so unless you don't want a present for Xmas then wait for the review(s)... It won't change the camera performance a bit! :-) :lol: :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 7:42 PM   #43

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Actually if you pre-order the D300 from Ritz the $1799 already included shipping and taxes so it's already discounted...

I don't know why people are so skeptical about the high ISO noise - Most people don't shoot at high ISO plus Nikon don't put out junk (or any other camera maker for that matter) If the D300 can touch what the D2x does for 1/2 the price that's already a considerable achievement... They are not going to put the option of ISO-6400 if the 3200 setting is useless are they? You can already see early samples from the similarly based A700 sensor @ high ISO albeit at only 12-bit conversion... (again why put in a 14-bit option if the 12-bit is not useable?)

-> This camera is trying to do what the D40/D40x does at the low-end:
It's putting a new floor in the advanced amateur/pro market and complement the D3 extremely well... (surpassing the 40D and squeezing the 1DMrkIII right in the middle!)

IMO the demand for this camera will be great so unless you don't want a present for Xmas then wait for the review(s)... It won't change the camera performance a bit! :-) :lol: :G
Saving money on shipping and taxes is always good. If you're American. But, being a Canuck we have a different waranty system. We have 5 years on thelenses and 2 years onDSLRs. And should I have any problems it's a lot more convenient to have dealt with an established local shop. Even if our Canadian $ is doing so well lately.

High ISO's...true...most of us probably won't be shooting at high ISO speeds. But it's nice to have that ability should that situqation arise. That and if a DSLR has improved high ISO performance that usually means that the pics shot at low ISO are also better. So what not?

You could be right about pre-ordering now instead of waiting. Though, up here in Toronto, when the D200 came out it didn't take long for the 2nd batches to arrive. As usual the people who pre-ordered would get thiirs first. Then there was the 1st in-store batch. Then a week or two later there was the 2nd batch. From that point on there didn't seem to be much of a shortage.

Any how, for me, getting to look at the test reports will tell me if the new features perform as advertised. As you know there are several new features on the D300/D3. Such as "scene recognition", ISO 200-3200 performance, 51-point 3D tracking AF, "color recognition", "active d-lighting"....will they work? Remains to be seen.

I'm in no rush...if I was I could have picked up a Canon 40D. Ooooooops....I said the "C word"
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:47 AM   #44
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Any how, for me, getting to look at the test reports will tell me if the new features perform as advertised. As you know there are several new features on the D300/D3. Such as "scene recognition", ISO 200-3200 performance, 51-point 3D tracking AF, "color recognition", "active d-lighting"....will they work? Remains to be seen.
All the more reasons to go for the D300 correct?
Theses features are just bonuses...

Let say that the Canon 40D is really superior in high ISO images - Would it change the outcome any?
Noises are good talking points for web discussions but I highly doubt that'll make a difference in what people choose. I rather have megapixels for cropping on my smaller birds... and when I do shoot in low-light I use ISO-100 and a good steady platform for the camera to rest on!!! :-)

1. From the early Sony high ISO results they are quite useable IMO:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=213378#213378

2. Once you've played with that 920k rear LCD anything else is a step back in time, just go and play with the A700's LCD!

3. The CCD scene recognition is not new... The F5/F6 hence all the pro Nikon bodies have had this feature for years - I highly doubt a manufacturer like Nikon can mess this up other than improve upon it

4. A similar 51 AF point is also use on the D3 - How can it work in one and not the other and still release the camera?

Quote:
"color recognition", "active d-lighting"....will they work?
-> Theses are all software - Nothing that a firmware download wouldn't fix... :idea:

Again all theses features are just icing on the cake. I highly doubt if people change their mind on the camera selection

Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:55 PM   #45

NHL wrote:
Quote:
All the more reasons to go for the D300 correct?
Theses features are just bonuses...

Let say that the Canon 40D is really superior in high ISO images - Would it change the outcome any?
Noises are good talking points for web discussions but I highly doubt that'll make a difference in what people choose. I rather have megapixels for cropping on my smaller birds... and when I do shoot in low-light I use ISO-100 and a good steady platform for the camera to rest on!!! :-)

1. From the early Sony high ISO results they are quite useable IMO:
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=213378#213378

2. Once you've played with that 920k rear LCD anything else is a step back in time, just go and play with the A700's LCD!

3. The CCD scene recognition is not new... The F5/F6 hence all the pro Nikon bodies have had this feature for years - I highly doubt a manufacturer like Nikon can mess this up other than improve upon it

4. A similar 51 AF point is also use on the D3 - How can it work in one and not the other and still release the camera?

Quote:
"color recognition", "active d-lighting"....will they work?
-> Theses are all software - Nothing that a firmware download wouldn't fix... :idea:

Again all theses features are just icing on the cake. I highly doubt if people change their mind on the camera selection

Whether or not you consider them "icing" I would (and I do) expect to have the advertised features all working as said. I'm not giong to buy a new camera knowing it needs a serious firmware update from the get go.

And why are you mentioning the A700? Besides that fact that Nikons have been using Sony sensors. Is the new EXPEED chip in the D300 the same one in the A700? Even if so manufacturers have the chips "tuned" for their designs. Just because two cameras might use the same chip it down't necessarily mean they will perform the same.

Any how, as I said, I'm in no hurry. I can wait antoher 2-3 months. If I actually needed a DSLR yesterday I would have bought a Canon 40D. Seems to be working well. No complaints from 40D owners. Well no major ones. The few I did spot turned out to be "user error".

And you said the F6 has "scene recognition"? I have the F6 brochure. Didn't see any mention of it.

Any how, as I've said....on with my wait!

Btw....have you posted any of your pictures on www.pbase.com?
Old Oct 11, 2007, 2:41 PM   #46
NHL

Most of my picures are posted on Steve's wildlife:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...r&page=116
... and landscapes:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...er&page=86

But I do have an older gallery @: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/portfolio
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:45 PM   #47

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
chris89 wrote:
Quote:
It's amazing what they managed to do.
Canon's 40D and 1D versions are left behind. Although the 1Ds mk3 still beats nikon in megapixels, but everybody knows mega pixels don't matter that much.

Nikon D3 and D300 get 9fps at full resolution!! and 11 without focus tracking. That's pretty sick.
And ISO 25.000? I never knew it existed, but Nikon pulled it off (partially thanks to sony).

Although Nikon had some disappointing releases in the past, these 2 cameras are definitely amazing me.
(i love how they took some of Canon's features and upgraded them Nikon style).

P.S. i'm no fan boy
Hiya Chris,

As for more price dropping before the D300/D3 arrive...who knows. I mean they already began discounting and they are still 2 months away from putting the two DSLRs to market. Officially anyway.

And as for the specs you listed...they only apply to the D3 (e.g. 9 and 11 fps). The D300 can "only" do 6 and 8 fps (8 when using the vertical grip attachment using any battery type but the EN-EL3e...though we don't yet know that the fps will be when using the D2Xs/D3 battery....will have to wait for the test resports).

The picture samples Nikon USA has provided for the D3 are impressive. Take a look at the detail on the fireman picture. Not sure how much PP work was done on it. But WOW!!

Where are the D300 pictures? There are only 2 right now. Doesn't really show what the D300 is capable of. I think they are also low ISO pics too. Could be wrong.

If they got hold of a preproduction D3 to take the pictures they have at Nikon USA wuldn't they also have a D300? Why haven't they posted more pics? :P

Any how...back to waiting....heh....
Yes it makes one think. Good point.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:37 PM   #48

Some more photo's from the D3

http://galleries.daveeinsel.com/d3test/

:|....................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2007, 8:35 PM   #49

musket wrote:
Quote:
Some more photo's from the D3

http://galleries.daveeinsel.com/d3test/

:|....................musket
Thanks for the pics! But as I've been saying. Where ar ethe D300 sample pics?? Let's go Nikon!!!

If you go to the Nikon USA site you'll notice that for the D3 they have a samples section with the 5 pics Nikon USA took using the D3. Most likely with a pre-production D3. But on the D300 webpage there are no pics. Not even the two Harley pics that was previously available. What's up Nikon?

Let's hope Nikon is preparing to bombard us with some high quality D300 sample pics soon.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:00 PM   #50

Hello Guys,

I just came from (well a few hours ago) the local "Photographic & Digital Imaging Show" here in Toronto. It was pretty much the same format as last year's. Minus a few "secluded" seminar rooms. All seminars were out in the open in sectioned off areas. They even had a hands-on Apple iLife 08 workshop. But I digress...

Any how, I'm posting to say that while at the show I did get to put my mits onpre-production D300's and D3's. They actually had a few of them on hand for demoing. I was surprised. Got to take some shots. And fire off some continuous bursts. It was sweet. Firing off 6 and 9 fps.

On the D300 I think they had their new 14-24 f/2.8 "Nano" ultra-wide. And on the D3 I think they had the 70-200 f/2.8. Nothing like shooting with 6 plus pounds of camera gear. But really while you definitely felt the weight it wasn't that uncomfortable. Though, I didn't have to carry it around for 8 hours.

After a day of shooting with a D3 and a 70-200 f/2.8 the user should have arms like Schwarzenegger!! No need for expensive gym memberships!!

You definitely got the feeling that they are both very well built. Very solid. Nice fit and finish.

And from the few picture samples I did see (taken by myself and another userwith both cameras (looking at the 920k LCD) it seems the AF did a good job. When shooting in continuous mode and in single-shot. Though there was slight blur in one shot. The user who took the shots raised the camera up with one arm and fired off a burstso he wasn't that stable. And I think he fired as he jerked his arm up. Doesn't help. But knowing that the pics still turned out well.

There was a "Pro" (hate the word "Pro"...sounds so pretentious), a top Canadian photograher by the name of Kristian Bogner. He was there demoing the D3/D300 and Nikon software briefly. He took a D3 to a baseball game and took some shots. Continuous mode. Blue Jays. And of course his shots all turned out well. No blur.

It was nice seeing a 9 fps breakdown of a pitch. And he showed the audience several high ISO shots. At ISO 3200 and 6400. Looked sweet!! And the images were projected onto a bigscreen.

And while I was at the Nikon booth I also found out that in Canada the first run of D3's will ONLY be sold to working photographers.You have to prove you're a "working photographer" to get one. And that the second batch probably won't be available till roughly March 08. Nice! I guess I won't get to plead "temporary insanity" in December. And have to "settle" with a D300 (assuming I like what I read in the test reports).

Later people.