Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:33 AM   #51

Some D300 galleries found on the web :-)

http://galleries.daveeinsel.com/d300test/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d300_users/

http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/nikon_d300

...........:|..........musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:40 PM   #52

musket wrote: Good finds!! Thanks!!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:06 PM   #53

More info might leak outat the Manchester expo07

you can register for your free place now

http://www.nikon.co.uk/utilities/hos...o07/index.html

....................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:43 AM   #54
NHL

FYI: http://www.e-fotografija.si/template...=94&page=2
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:00 PM   #55

NHL wrote: Thanks for the link. Finally some quality sample photos from a production d300. I like how they provided crops on the eye of one of the models. With the photo shot at high ISO (3200). Very nice. Even if they did so some PP afterwards.

Still, I'd love to see the test reports. Hope we get them in December.

Some one (won't name names) read that the D300 was having troubles picking the right AF point. So in continuous burst mode some shots might be off. But I think that was "user error". I doubt the production models would have troubles choosing the right AF point with 51 available. But who knows.

Another thing. With cameras like the D300...why does Nikon insist on saying "Made in thailand" when it was only "assembled" in Thailand. I think the parts are still "made in Japan". At least the Xspeed processor is for sure. Any how, according to Nikonians it doesn't matter as there hasn't been any reliability issues with cameras made in the land of Siam.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 6:01 AM   #56
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Another thing. With cameras like the D300...why does Nikon insist on saying "Made in thailand" when it was only "assembled" in Thailand. I think the parts are still "made in Japan". At least the Xspeed processor is for sure. Any how, according to Nikonians it doesn't matter as there hasn't been any reliability issues with cameras made in the land of Siam.
In this day and age it doesn't matter where a product is made...

The factories have to be located where the labor is cheap (beside customers also want to pay the lowest price for a product) for the manufacturers to compete. Theses factories are all certified to ISO-9001 in order to ship products into Europe and high precision machines with high tolerances make the product. The quality control and final tests are also highly automated so it doesn't matter then where theses factories are located as long as the cost of running them are low. You could build them in "Japan" but if the same camera has to cost $3000 instead of <$2000 will you pay for it?

I'm not so sure about the processor either as most of the best fabs with the tinyest geometries are also located in Thailand or China and not Japan - See where Intel and AMD build their chips...
Old Nov 15, 2007, 8:47 AM   #57
Administrator

If anyone has been waiting for the D300, apparently Ritz Camera is now sending out e-mails to a lot of people that pre-ordered the D300 indicating that their cameras are now enroute to Ritz warehouses from Nikon.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:49 AM   #58
NHL

Not everyone do... It depends on when you ordered it - My E-mail just says to check the status: :evil:

Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2007, 9:55 AM   #59

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
In this day and age it doesn't matter where a product is made...

The factories have to be located where the labor is cheap (beside customers also want to pay the lowest price for a product) for the manufacturers to compete. Theses factories are all certified to ISO-9001 in order to ship products into Europe and high precision machines with high tolerances make the product. The quality control and final tests are also highly automated so it doesn't matter then where theses factories are located as long as the cost of running them are low. You could build them in "Japan" but if the same camera has to cost $3000 instead of <$2000 will you pay for it?

I'm not so sure about the processor either as most of the best fabs with the tinyest geometries are also located in Thailand or China and not Japan - See where Intel and AMD build their chips...
Hey NHL,

While I'm sure cost definitely does factor into it Nikon at the same timestill manufactures their top dogs in Japan. Their D2Hs/D2Xs/D3 DSLRs and pro-grade glass. Why? Because even Nikon most likely also believes things "Made in Japan" is better. I mean, if the fact that the QA proess is so automated (ensuring consistent QA), then why isn't Nikon having ALL their gear made in Thailand? Would it not be even more cost effective to also have their flagship DSLRs/lenses made in Thailand? Are they doing something extra special in Japan? Something theyaren't doing in Thailand? Gets you wondering.

Canon still manufactures all their DSLRs/lenses/accessories in Japan. They have been since who knows when. Probably since they began manufacturing digital cameras. And likely before then. Perhaps since they began making cameras period. What does that tell you (us)?

Any how, thanks for explaining why Nikon cameras made in Thailand should be fine.It definitely is more reassuring to know that in addition to a very automated QA process thatthe factories are also ISO-9001 certified. I always assumed that was a North American thing. We see HUGE ISO-9001 banners drapped on the side of some local computer firms.

Having said that, if manufacturing plants in Thailand/China,are requiredto be "ISO-9001 certified" and while plants in Japan do not....or are they also now?

JimC,

Thanks for the news!

It seems "offical release dates" don't amount to much these days. Assuming Nikon D300 owners get theirs before the 23rd (Japan's offical date). In Canada the offical date is December 10th.

Canon 40D owners got theirs as much as 4 weeks in advance.

Maybe the "official dates" are just to quiet the press as they hound the manufacturers for information.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 10:02 AM   #60
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
While I'm sure cost definitely does factor into it Nikon at the same timestill manufactures their top dogs in Japan. Their D2Hs/D2Xs/D3 DSLRs and pro-grade glass. Why? Because even Nikon most likely also believes things "Made in Japan" is better. I mean, if the fact that the QA proess is so automated (ensuring consistent QA), then why isn't Nikon having ALL their gear made in Thailand? Would it not be even more cost effective to also have their flagship DSLRs/lenses made in Thailand? Are they doing something extra special in Japan? Something theyaren't doing in Thailand? Gets you wondering.
Yeap - The "Pro" models are $4000+ (and low volume) - Would you pay that price? :G

ISO-9001 and ROHS (lead-free) are requirements for Europe - i.e. you don't get to do business in the EU otherwise...