Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:37 PM   #71
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Kidding. Probably also go with a D300. Assuming I like what I read in the test reports. Keep us posted.

Regarding ISO-9001 and Europe...I see.
Well It looks like the French have reviewed the D300 and put it ahead of the 40D and A700...

It should for commanding a higher price!!! :lol::-):G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:55 PM   #72

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Kidding. Probably also go with a D300. Assuming I like what I read in the test reports. Keep us posted.

Regarding ISO-9001 and Europe...I see.
Well It looks like the French have reviewed the D300 and put it ahead of the 40D and A700...

Is any one fluent in French?

http://translate.google.com/translat...6rlz%3D1I7ADBR
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:54 PM   #73
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
From what I understand, Chasseur d'Images changed the Sony A700 to 5 stars like the D300 after Sony released the new version 2 firmware, and sacrificed a two page spread to cover the update improvements.

Even more interesting, is that their tests of the camera convinced Sony to change the firmware from what I've heard about it. I haven't read the review yet (and Google Translate seems to be having a problem with their web pages right now). My French stinks. So, I'd need a translation. lol

Most reviews I've seen so far put the A700 ahead of the 40D for image quality. I have not seen much in the way of direct comparisons of the A700 and 40D with the D300 yet.

I'd like to see some higher ISO speed tests with the D300 and A700 in more controlled conditions. One test I looked at seemed to imply that the A700 was almost a stop more sensitive at higher ISO speeds compared to the D300. The A700 was getting shutter speeds exactly twice as fast as the D300 in the same lighting with the same aperture and ISO speed shooting the same subjects (so the Sony's ISO 1600 was as senstive as the D300's ISO 3200). But, that was with a preproduction D300 and the tester was using a different color space and WB to shoot them. So, I'll wait until I see comparisons from more reviewers in controlled conditions to find out how they compare in this area.

Quote:
Well, at least NIkon looks like they're going to include Capture NX with the D300 and D3 now, versus charging extra for it like they do with other DSLR models. That helps to make it more competitive. A wireless remote control like Sony includes would help, too. ;-)

The D300 is in an interesting market niche. It's more expensive compared to advanced amateur models like the Sony A700 and Canon D40. But, it does have some great features that distinquish it for sports shooters (faster frame rate, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:12 PM   #74

I believe only Nikon UK is including Capture NX with their D3/D300 models. Limited time offer. Would be great if Nikon Canada/USA does the same.

And for an advanced detailed "look" at the D300/D3 d/l the non-printable User's Manuals from the Nikon USA website. See here ---->

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...en_noprint.pdf

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...en_noprint.pdf
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:37 PM   #75

A production D300 has arrived in Shanghai, China...and into the hands of a lucky owner.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25686377
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:47 PM   #76

Its here in the states, Ritzcamera in Washington DC has them. Awesome camera.
hugabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 9:52 PM   #77

hugabone wrote:
Quote:
They have them in the shop already?? The RitzCamera website still lists the D300 as a pre-order item (http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54...igital-cameras). Maybe the webmasters are just slow. Do you know if it comes with the Capture NX disc or just a code (as is the case for the new owner in Shanghai)?

And being that people are already getting theirs hopefully we'll see some test reports soon.

Are you getting one?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:12 PM   #78

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
hugabone wrote:
Quote:
They have them in the shop already?? Do you know if it comes with the Capture NX disc or just a code (as is the case for the new owner in Shanghai)?

And being that people are already getting theirs hopefully we'll see some test reports soon.

Are you getting one?
Yes it does come with Capture NX, it's written BIG on the box but I'm not sure wherther it was a code or disc. Maybe I'll post some shots from it while I was in the store. I'm getting one but from Circuit City when they get theirs. Here is a shot, you can see the box of the D300.
Attached Images

hugabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:39 PM   #79

Thanks hugabone,

I just checked the Canadian camera store websites. Our websites still say December. Hope it's just the webmasters dragging their feet. Canadian webmasters are notoriously slow at updating their websites. Canon Canadahas only recently added the40D to their website and it's been available for almost 3 months now.

As for me, I'll most likely be getting one, but I would like to read some test reports/user impressions first.

And they did just drop the price of the D300/D3 ($1869.95/$5299.99 CAD...down by $130/$200 respectively).

Also, since the D300 is already being sold, hopefully new D300 owners will start posting user impressions soon....here...

Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:44 AM   #80

Found a review of the D300 on a British site. The article title leads you to believe that it would mostly be discussing "active d-lighting" but it turns out they onlyused ashort paragraph discussing that. This is actually a detailed "user impreesion" article quickly going over most of the major features and usage. Answering a few of my questions and possibly a few of yours. But there are no graphs or test photos. Still, it's worth a read IMHO...see here...

http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...p;print=637711

(Note: I had to sign up for a free 2 week trial membership to get access to this article. If you have any trouble accessing this link in the coming weeks please feel free to PM me. As I have saved a copy as a MS Word *.doc file.)

Looks that much more likely I'm going to be getting my D300 now. Hopefully, Steve and Phil Askey are working on their test reports as we speak.