Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2007, 1:19 AM   #1

Nikon today announced their new D300 and D3

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"D300 at 1800 looks like the best camera in paper for the price.

D3 sounds like a monstor of a camera

Excellent news from Nikon....stepping up the competetion..rather i feel in paper they could lead the competetion....
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2007, 2:03 AM   #2

It's amazing what they managed to do.
Canon's 40D and 1D versions are left behind. Although the 1Ds mk3 still beats nikon in megapixels, but everybody knows mega pixels don't matter that much.

Nikon D3 and D300 get 9fps at full resolution!! and 11 without focus tracking. That's pretty sick.
And ISO 25.000? I never knew it existed, but Nikon pulled it off (partially thanks to sony).

Although Nikon had some disappointing releases in the past, these 2 cameras are definitely amazing me.
(i love how they took some of Canon's features and upgraded them Nikon style).

P.S. i'm no fan boy
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 8:03 AM   #3

and introducing 51 point AF to the 1800 camera i feel as one the best steps to not get closer but gain few points over canon.

I have canon 5d and 1d but still adore this nikon news..Its gonna make me happy after a couple of years when i wanna upgrade
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:12 PM   #4

Interesting news indeed, I also recieved news via email from Nikon

and CMOS sensors seem to be taking the place of CCD

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/r...w**&2=1095

......................musket

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:36 AM   #5

Does anybody know how the existing Digital DX lenses like the AFS 17-55, 12-24, 10.5 etc will work on the new D3?

I would of thought they wouldn't as you can't use them on the 35mm Nikonn film cameras. I hope this isn't the case as I have quite an assortment of these!

Patrick
patrick205gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6

Yes the DX len will work, the body will automatically detect the DX lens and will crop the image (5.1 megapixels). The following was taken from the Nikon's spec sheets:

Compatible Lenses*1

[align=left]1) Type G or D AF Nikkor: All functions supported[/align]

[align=left]2) DX AF Nikkor: All functions supported except FX-format (36x24)/5:4 (30x24) image size[/align]

[align=left]3) AF Nikkor other than type G or D*
2: All functions supported except 3D Color Matrix Metering II[/align]

[align=left]4) AI-P Nikkor: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II[/align]

[align=left]5) Non-CPU AI Nikkor: Can be used in exposure modes A and M; electronic rangefinder can[/align]

[align=left]be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster; Color Matrix Metering and aperture value[/align]

[align=left]display supported if user provides lens data[/align]

[align=left]*1. IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used[/align]
*2. Excluding lenses for F3AF
WCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply!

Seems a bit ridiculous that most of my current lenses will need to be changed to get the most out of the D3.

I should think this will affect a fair few Nikon users that own the Digital DX who shoot for stock agencies etc that stipulate a file size that is far larger than what the D3 produces when using these lenses.

For people that have invested heavily in current Nikon Digital camera bodies and lenses this is a bit of a shock as it seems to get the best out of the new D3 and possibly future Nikon products we will have to purchase new lenses.

Not a terribly happy Nikon user today!
patrick205gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:30 PM   #8

You'll be surprised how many Nikon lenses are full frame, even new ones. All the pro lenses are full frame (except the 17-55). So no worries there.
Also i think Nikon wants to lure new professionals, especially pros who use canon. So no DX replacement for that group.

Allot of DX lens users will be satisfied with a D300 which is also cheaper so no big worries there as well.

But you still have a point. Some people will have to spend more than twice the money to replace all their lenses if they want full resolution on a D3, but i guess that's where the D300 comes in to play.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:36 PM   #9

Actually, I think most pro's have a current arsenal of lenses, especially bright primes from the film days, that now can be used for their original purpose. The wide angle is something alot of pro's have been clamoring for and now they have it. As for those folks new to the game, there is still a bunch of wide angle primes and other quality lenses available at fair prices on the used market.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 7:42 AM   #10

Man, as exciting as this news is and what it can possible mean for Nikon, Im really surprised it hasnt gotten much attention on this site. Are we THAT outnumbered here?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote