Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2007, 2:23 AM   #1

My D70 recently started having some trouble. After about 20-30 photos, it will focus but pressing the button does nothing. In order to take more photos, I have to turn off the camera for a minute or two. It then works fine for another 20-30 photos.

Do I need to take it in for repair or is there possibly something simple I'm overlooking?

Thanks.
2legit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:26 AM   #2

some things to check:

Are you working with a manual lens but your camera is set to a mode other than manual?

Did you accidentally press the remote control button?

Is your battery full enough?

Is your lens properly attached?
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:59 PM   #3

chris89 wrote:
Quote:
some things to check:

Are you working with a manual lens but your camera is set to a mode other than manual?

Did you accidentally press the remote control button?

Is your battery full enough?

Is your lens properly attached?
Everything is automatic, attached properly and battery fully charged. The camera works great for the first 20-30 shots, then suddenly stops. If I turn it off for a minute or two, it will start over. If I turn it off for just a few seconds, it will take a few shots and then do it again. It almost acts like it's overheating, but I don't know if a camera could overheat. That's just the best way I can think to explain it.

Also, if I take photos very slowly(one every 20-30 seconds) it never stops working. It's only when I take photos a few seconds apart that it's an issue.
2legit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 3:23 PM   #4

That indeed sounds like a warmth problem. Do you feel it getting warmer?
You could email Nikon to ask if they know a solution.

To be honest i have no idea what it could be, so good luck.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:50 AM   #5

How are your exposures?

Last year I would have intermittent problems with my shutter and/or exposures, then at the ocean shore, my d70 decided it was going to give flat black or white photos peppered with some normal ones...

It suddenly got worse when I was sneaking around at night taking photos (landscapes!) and the shutter just refused to click until I removed the CF card and replaced it (which needed turning the camera off so maybe it's related). Then I could take 1 to 5 photos before doing that again.

That's when I came online here and found out about BGLOD (blinking green light of death). My d70 was one of the first ones out.
So I sent it to Nikon and they fixed it for free.

...just a possibility.
My green light didn't blink until that last night, so maybe you're working your way to it.
CrikketNCat is offline   Reply With Quote