Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2007, 9:39 AM   #1

Hi folks,

I hope this is the right place to post this.. I'm planning to purchase a D80 with 18-135mm kit lens.. and looking for the best deal.

I can wait for 3 months and hope that Circuit city or Ritz Camera will have a special come black friday.. or I can buy them refurbished now - I see that Beach camera has a refurbished D80 body for $750, and B&H has the used lens for $239, which bring the total to under a grand which I think its pretty good.

What do you guys think? Is there a good chance that the D80 will be on sale in many stores this black friday much like the XTI was last black friday? Or do you think the refurb way will still be cheaper? Many thanks!
WidjayaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:18 PM   #2

If you cant afford it get something lower like the D40X etc. At this stage why would you want a refurb? Goodness! What are you thinking? Save up and just get it, if you going to wait wait till D90 launches. Since you can wait then wait and carry on waiting till you get if off at as low as $700.00 when a model like D90 comes out, that is what happen to the D70s and D70. On the other hand just buy it.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:19 AM   #3

nexusworks wrote:
Quote:
If you cant afford it get something lower like the D40X etc. At this stage why would you want a refurb? Goodness! What are you thinking? Save up and just get it, if you going to wait wait till D90 launches. Since you can wait then wait and carry on waiting till you get if off at as low as $700.00 when a model like D90 comes out, that is what happen to the D70s and D70. On the other hand just buy it.
Thanks. Actually I've heard many, many positive experiences with Refurbished items ( even Steve himself said so ) - and that it has even been inspected thoroughly.. and if I can save 20-30%, why not?

Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:27 PM   #4

I was thinking of a 40% saving to be worth it, just 20% just dont feel like is worth all the trouble. if thats the case i would wait till D90 is out and you will see a price drop.

Otherwise stick to your sale event and hope for that one to go down before taking refurb. Remember, this is provided you know how to inspect it, a newbie wont. Don't get me wrong but for one thing is hard to know a cameras history by just looking.

nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:59 PM   #5

I don't think you can really expect that the D80 will be available for Black Friday (fwiw, we didn't have the XTi as a BF special at any of the big box stores around where I live).

Refurbs should be fine if they were factory refurbished. Given that Beach Camera is an authorized (and by all accounts on this and many other forums, reputable) dealer, you're likely going to get a factory refurb.

I've had good luck with refurbs in the past, only one ever broke (non-camera item), and that was replaced under warranty.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:28 AM   #6

Why would you want to pay $1000 for a refurbished body and lens when you can get brand new with a lot of extras for $130 more

I bought this package back in March and I am very pleased with it

as you can see you are getting alot more than you could get if you went your way, plus you have brand new stuff

Check this out and save that extra $130 youi will need to get this much better deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D80-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:38 PM   #7

Well, I did it. Thanks for the advice everyone. TexasHillbilly, I wish I had seen your link because that does seems to be a nice value-for-the-money package, especially given that both the camera and the lens are brand new. Would have bought that one.

I got my D80 + 18-135 + SB400 flash + 2GB SD for 1100 shipped from Beach Camera. I'm stoked!
Old Sep 7, 2007, 10:29 AM   #8

I think you'll be very happy with your Nikon purchase and the service you receive at Beach. I bought my D80 w/ 18-55 kit lens from them about a month ago as well as a 55-200VR lensjust last week. Please let me know how you like your new SB-400. That will most likely be my next purchase for my basic needs.

Enjoy the camera.
Sole Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:10 AM   #9

I bought a D40x refurb from B&H and I'm delighted by it. I will only buy refurb camera bodies because digicams aren't a mature product yet. It bothers me to spend a lot of money on a camera thats going to be obsolescent in 2 years or less. However, lenses have a longer useful life and I don't mind paying for a new Nikkor,you should buy the cheapest D80 body you can get.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:28 PM   #10

I completely agree with RODMEISTER on this subject. My D50 was the "last camera" I was ever going to own.... 11 months ago. Now that I own my D80 (factory refurb), I have come to the conclusion that these items are perishable in terms of technology, and will become obsolete over and over again as newer and better models come out to replace them. If I save $130 +/- on each upgrade I do during my journey into digital photography, then I will see the savings add up eventually!
onomado is offline   Reply With Quote