Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1

im considering getting a Nikon D40x with the AF-S DX 18-135 mm Lens. I have read reviews of this lens and its not suppsoed to be the best, but i want something with a bit of versatility that has a good range. Im getting the feeling that this is the wrong attitude to take wtih dslrs ( but its hard as my current camera is a panasonic fz7 with a huge focal length). considering budget is a serious consideration and i cant afford to have 4 top quality lenses, should i just get the camera with the kit lens thats 18 - 70 or 18-55, and save for a good telephoto lens?
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:45 PM   #2

From my personal experience, I would go for the 18-135mm as a starter lens. I had to have the 18-55mm with the D40, and then bought the 18-135mm (secondhand on Ebay), and the original kit lens gathers dust! The 18-135mm is sharp, doesn't add much weight to the camera, and has a good range. Its on the camera much more than the Sigma 10-20mm and the 50mm 1.8. After the reach of your superzoom, you will miss the reach with only 18-55mm.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

You must first draw a line between how much you ever going to spend on a lens as you already know Nikon lenses are not cheap.

I planned what I ever needed and bought it and let be the end of it. I didnt want to go through the thinking of a thrid party then a upgrade etc.

Sure not everyone is rich, and thus buying exactly what you need is important.

I suggest that since you are a D40 user, forget about buying lenses way beyond your budget, else why would you get a D40 anyway? So Pro lenses should never come into your wanted list. (Yes some of you can disagree)

But I am taking it as you on a tight budget so is ok to go for cheap alternatives.

The best option you can do is get a 18-70mm and 70-300mmVR and that should be it.

If you just want one lens without the hassle of changing, YES I recommend the 18-135mm very highly. I have this lens plus the 70-300mm VR

these few combinations would do pretty ok, just get a tripod for your shots.

The 18-135mm helps you to cover pretty much a good range and is pretty sharp. If you need more reach then the 70-300mm VR would be the next lens to purchase.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:28 AM   #4

My suggestion is to find a used D50 or a D80 or a D70 and shune the D40x.

It is so much less than either of the other ones.

It has no top display, it has no internal focus motor, it has no flash commander, it has no 2nd selection wheel, and it feels like a toy compared to the other Nikons.

I would totally refuse to buy one of those camera's id rather spend my money on a Canon XTI and I am a Nikon lover, except the D40x

You say you will be happy with it and you will be for a month or so and then when you want to expand your lens selection then you will realise how limeted you are.

You cant use most of the prime lens that give you much better quality than most zooms, unless you manual focus

Forget the D40x and get a real camera.

you can get a used D50 cheaper than the D40x

and there is very little differance in the price of the D80 and D40x

think about this before you make a mistake that most other D40 users made

TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:36 AM   #5

D40x I'd say nay. D40 I have one. I am happy with it and don't find myself disappointed at all. The kit lens lends to taking some high quality looking shots. I don't feel a top LCD is critical since the necessary functions can be chosen by the user in user mode. The fn button can be designated to whatever you feel is what you would use most. Picture quality is amazing straight out in jpeg. I have the 18-200mm VRII lens so it solves the focal length needs for my shooting.

By the way, I have two D200 bodies and they are great cameras as well for what I use them for.

I use the D40 alot for on the go and candids and quick trips. This camera has the best exposure of all the models I have tried. Battery life is awesome. I am fortunate to try before I buy and find that the D40 is no toy but a wonderful imaging tool. The fact it has no motor is not a big deal. I don't need a bag full of lenses. There are about 40 lenses compatible with the D40 and D40x. The Sigma 10-20mm, the 18-200mm VRII and the 70-300mm VR would be a good set-up. I have the SB-400 speedlight. Simply amazing speedlight. I prefer it over the two SB-800's I have. It sits permanently on one of my D200 cameras unless I need to use it with my D40.

When it comes down to it. Knowing what you want is the hard part since photography is a growing and learning experience and interests will start to come about as you get into it more and more.

Albeit the dSLR's are more like disposable cameras since technology lends itself to the next and the next and so on. The D40 is a nice place to start and getting lenses withAF-S (Nikon lenses with motor) and HSM (Sigma lenses with motor) would be the investment, not the camera. I'd be patient when it comes to lenses and use that FZ7 for your longer reach shots for the time being. Get the good glass if you are going into the dSLR market.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:23 PM   #6

TexasHillbilly wrote
Quote:

Forget the D40x and get a real camera.

you can get a used D50 cheaper than the D40x

and there is very little differance in the price of the D80 and D40x

think about this before you make a mistake that most other D40 users made

That's a completely ridiculous statement. You're stereotyping and for the most part you are incorrect. I agree that there is little difference in price between the d40x and d80 and in that case I would definitely go for the d80. However to infer that the d40 isn't a "real" camera is completely asinine. Also assuming that "most" d40 owners have made a mistake or infering that they are unhappy is pretty stupid. From my experience I've noticed that most d40 owners are very happy with their purchases and have actually heard from those who have decided to get rid of their d80 because their friend's d40 was lighter, took comparable images, and was cheaper.

There is a huge difference between the price of a d40 and a d80. Assuming that the average buyer would be better off just because a camera costs more is silly. I seriously doubt most people who are in the market for the d40 would ever miss the features the d80 has over it. Just like most d80 owners wouldn't have much use for the features of the d200.

I personally like the d50, however telling someone to buy a used one isn't always the best way to go. You just never know what you're going to get, especially on ebay.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 1:44 PM   #7

D40x is a great beginner camera, hell it has higher megapix than my d70s, but yes d70s have features that are more adavnce and so is any other camera body higher in the chain.

For a beginner, that camera is reasonably cheap and good. I tried it myself and Yes I do like it. You have a bigger LCD which will help you a lot than the d50, d70 or d70s. The shutter somehow felt smoother than my D70s.

D40 series is design to get people interested, we cant just push someone to get a higher model just because it is better, might as well everyone buy a D3.

the 18-135mm lens would be ok and do you pretty well before you ever need to go for another lens. If so I would highly recommend 70-300mm VR as the next upgrade.

Try it yourself in camera shops dont just take everyones advise blindly.

cheers!
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:22 PM   #8

I have a D50 and a D80, and I have a friend who has the D40x. We both have the VR 18-200 Nikkor lens, and it doesnt matter which body you put this wonderful walk around lens on, you will be satisfied. I do get better shots out of my D50 with that lens than my friend does with his D40x, but this is supposedly due to the rather small aperture of the lens at a focal length any longer than 18mm (nikon marketing trick to say f4-5.6, but its only f4 at shortest length). There was also a bit of a learning curve for me upgrading to the D80 with the lens, and the results were almost identical to the D40x. This tells me that the same short-comings in metering are present in both cameras. The D50/70/200 all seem to be a little easier to get keepers out of with the 18-200mm lens. As long as you are willing to fool around with the camera and learn how to use its settings, you are not really going to go wrong with any choice. The biggest thing is the difference between point and shoot vs. DSLR. One is easy to use, and one has an almost infinite learning curve. Which one are YOU prepared for?
onomado is offline   Reply With Quote