Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2007, 7:15 PM   #1

hi,

whati like to know are two things:

can the F3AF lenses (the ONLY two lenses Nikon exclusively produced for this camera,af-nikkor*ed 200mm 1:3,5 and af-nikkor 80mm 1:2,8 )cause damage when mounted on my D80 ?

should i NEVER use these lenses onOTHER camera's except (of course) the F3AF, F4 and F501 ?

anyone ?
papadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:32 AM   #2

It's safe to try, as long as you don't force it.
It could be that you have to modify the outer back lens ring a bit, but that's doable.
If you don't force them on, but just put them on softly and looking if and where they stop or get a bit too hard to put on then there shouldn't be a problem. I did so with some old non-AI lenses that everybody said would damage my camera, but i tried it, then modified them, and now i use them regularly
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:49 PM   #3

that's what i did, Chris89, and it all appeared to be working properly ! so for my part i don't think there might be a problem whatsoever, as long as i 'handle with care'. but hey, we should ALWAYS treat the recent digital camera's with some care, don't we ? the times of the nikkormats or the f2are over ! anyhow, i mounted the 200mm together witha tc200 on my D80 thus creating a 600mm ! and with trial & error (because of the lack of diafragm info i had to take some test-pictures before i had the right one) i got beautiful telephoto's.
that's the greatest advantage of these digital camera's : when the picture is out of focus, had the wrong diafragma or shutterspeed i simply throw it away and start again !
and because of the excellent optical quality of these two lenses i loved to keep usingthem,taking all other disadvantages for granted !
my only concern is whether these lenses could damage the autofocus-sensors or other parts of the camera !

anyhow, thanx for the info !

papadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 3:31 AM   #4

Thats great news, congratulations
The only parts that it could damage is the AI coupling (but i think F3 lenses have enough space at the bottom to not even touch it so thats good ).
They could also damage the aperture coupling inside the camera, but that prong is the same since 1960, so that should be safe as well.
The last thing it could damage is your mirror, do the back of the lenses stick out a lot? if they don't, then no prob

Have fun with your new lenses.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote