Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Tamron Lenses on D 100

Does anyone have problems with using a Tamron 28-300 on the D 100? The focus seems to hunt all the time ! Pl reply
Thanks
Dr Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:36 AM   #2

I'm using a Tamron 28-200 without incident for what that's worth. No experience with the 28-300 however.
Miloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks a lot for your kind reply. Even now I was busy trying to focus it. Highly erratic. Should have stuck to Nikon 28-200!
Dr Krishna
Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:58 PM   #4

The focusing ability is not so much a problem of the lens, as the AF sensor in the camera. Perhaps you have selected one of the peripheral focal points on the D100? Or are trying to focus in very dim light (that's when faster lenses actually matter in focusing, allowing more light for the AF to work w/ less hunting), or are trying to focus on a low contrast subject, or trying to focus through other objetcs in the way, or the subject lacks vertical/horizontal elements for the AF to pick up?
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:50 AM   #5

Thanks Alberto for your kind reply. I was careful about the points you mentioned. However I did find that my sony 707 at times was better! For e.g. I focused on a switched off tv set and it was difficult to focus. The sony did adimrably. However if I focused on the border between the tv frame and glass, it was instantaneous. The sensitivity varies I guess.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 9:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Krishna
Thanks Alberto for your kind reply. I was careful about the points you mentioned. However I did find that my sony 707 at times was better! For e.g. I focused on a switched off tv set and it was difficult to focus. The sony did adimrably. However if I focused on the border between the tv frame and glass, it was instantaneous. The sensitivity varies I guess.
FWIW, I use the 28-300 Tamron all the time (it is the lens that I take with me when I travel). While I have occasionally had it hunt, that is a pretty rare occurance for me. Actually, I have been pleasantly surprised by the lens in general.

I hope this helps!

<TED>
tedj101 is offline   Reply With Quote