Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 12, 2007, 2:59 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm all new to any kind of digital camera forums but i just thought i'd get involved!
I have a Nikon D40 which i am pleased with, however i'm finding the images a bit on the green/blue side and a bit over the top. Reds for example are coming out so bright they look fake! I'm using the auto white balance and normal setting.
I guess they just look over processed. They are great images with bags of detail, just a little fake looking.
I had a Konica Minolta 5D before this which produced very natural images, even pics of my baby boy turned out great with flash. The pics with the Nikon's flash always look a little cool and flat. This sounds like a big moan but it's not really, just wondered if anybody had smoe thought/advice on this.

Thanks.
mandwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2007, 6:07 AM   #2

you can set color profiles in the menu.
If you want gray, dark, lifeless colors like canon cameras give you, then choose "adobeRGB", if you want natural choose "sRGB" and if you want nikon style choose "sRGB III".
I hope that helps.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:51 PM   #3

Cool, thanks for that i'll give it a try.

I should just say that i had a Canon 300d and i agree the images were not the best for colour and the Nikon is way better, just a touch to vivid with greens etc. Better that way though.
mandwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:37 PM   #4

Well it depends on what you are shooting really, but for anything other than emotive portraits the nikon colors tend to be more convinient.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote