Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2007, 2:04 PM   #1

First of all i would like to thank all of you photo enthusiasts because i´ve been to this forum searching for answers for a long time now and it´s been really good to learn all those things you can´t learn by reading a manual.
It´s my first post here and only because now i´ve purchased a digital camera (after spending a long time saving money and reading forums) that i really want to learn how to get the best out of it - so i come here searching your help.

I´ve purchased the Nikon D80 with the 18-70 kit lens - i have it for 3 days now and i already have a few important questions to ask:

1- immediatly as i turned on my camera for the first time (after reading all the manual procedures) i saw a dead pixel on the LCD, it´s nothing big but it´s there. It seems that it doesn´t afect my photos since it´s only seen when i lit the back LCD. My question is: should i take it back because of it? is it important not to have any dead pixels or it´s nothing to worry about?

2- about filters, i had a Panasonic FZ-20 (which i loved and helped me to learn a few tricks) and i´ve always used a UV filter and a Polarizing filter. I´ve read that with these new DSLR filters aren´t that great, they change the way the lenses behave ... it it true? should i use any kind of filters on these machines? which ones you advise? My main concern is to protect the lens from being scracthed or dirty... i already have a Hoya UV filter (green box) should i use it?

3- i like to take all kind of pictures, sport, portraits, landscapes, macros ... and right now i´m already thinking on which lens should i buy next. With your experience in digital photography can you please advise which lens should i go next? which models?

Thanks to you all for your patience, and i hope you can help me entering this new and exciting world...

Joao Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

You ask some tough questions. ;-)

If it were my camera, I'd probably try to get a replacement from the dealer I got it from.

As for filters, that's a controversial issue. Filters can be a cause of flare shooting in conditions with bright light sources in the frame. But, some users report never having a problem with them and they can help to protect a lens.

You'll find shooters on both sides of that issue.

As for another lens, I'd use the 18-70mm for a while and see where you may find it lacking before spending a lot of money on additional lenses, unless you have specific shooting conditions in mind (for example, sports, wildlife, low light shooting without a flash). Once you use it for a while, you'll be able to make a better informed decision of where (and if) something different may be needed for the type of subjects you like to shoot.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:06 AM   #3

1. Camera send back. whats the point of buying a camera knowing something is wrong.

2. Filter you have to read up, as quite a number dont like to use and some do.

3. Lenses: since you bought 18-70mm, I suggest you go 70-300mmVR and any Macro lens to your budget. choices are wide 105mm VR or third party Sigma 150mm, Tamron 90mm etc. They are very good macros.

If you need a ultra wide lens for DX camera then I go with 14-24mm Nikon or Tokina.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:26 AM   #4

I´ve taken a few photosnow ... and i must say i´m really impressed with this machine. The dead pixel only shows when displaying images, it´s tiny but it´s there - probably i´ll follow the advise and i will trade the camera in for a new one.

About the filters ... well ... i guess it´s a tough question, no one want´s to get a scracth on a expensive lens, but on the other side we don´t want to get less quality in our shots because of a piece of glass that´s not suppose to be there ... guess i´ll try to be carefull using the lens without the filter...

I´ve read tons of good things abut the Nikkor 50mm-f/1.8D what´s your general thoughts on this lens?

Thanks for all your input
Old Sep 16, 2007, 5:44 AM   #5
Administrator

The 50mm f/1.8 would be a good addition to anyone's kit. It's inexpensive and light, and is much brighter than your existing 18-70mm lens. It can come in handy for low light shooting.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6

Congratualtions on your purchase. You will get many opinions to your questions (remember they are opinions, and what works for others, not necessarily for you).

Dead pixels happen with LCD's, however, there are too many samples out there that don't have dead pixels, and I wouldn't accept this from a new camera. It's not a huge issue and won't affect picture quality, but I would probably trade out.

I'm in the no filters camp (at least in terms of protective filters). Unless I'm shooting in tough conditions (ie the beach, on or near water, in windy sandy conditions, etc) I don't use protective filters. I only use the lens hood in normal conditions. Especially with wide angles, filters often cause vignetting and flare is common when shooting in bright conditions at all focal lengths. I used to use filters, and got tired or constantly removing them, and needing different sizes for different lenses, and realized I had never damaged one. This was 10 years ago, and I'm still damage free. Minor scratches and dust won't affect image quality, and if you have a major drop, the broken filter will likely damage your lens anyway.

As far as a second lens, spend some time with the 18-70 to figure out what you are lacking. A tele is a logical choice, and the recommended 70-300vr is an excellent option at a reasonable price. If you like macro, a dedicated macro lens is a good choice, and in addition to those recommended, don't forget the older Nikkors, the 55 and 105 micro which can be had reasonable. The 50 f 1.8 is a huge bargain, available for under $100 used, which should be in every photographers bag.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 5:42 PM   #7

I use multi coated uv filters on ALL of my lenses for protection first ( I am in AZ, home of dust and dirt in the air), but also because the backgrounds here are sometimes very harsh in terms of lighting. You will see a little bit of UV haze disappear when using a filter in bright backgrounds, but it wont make or breaka shot.

As for lenses..I LOVE my 18-200mm VR nikon lens. It is about $800, but it also replace three other lenses in my bag. WELL worth the money to have VR technoligy and three lenses in one.
onomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:52 AM   #8

Thanks for tips!

Which one is the best the 18-200VR or the 70-300VR?

Cheers

Old Sep 24, 2007, 8:36 AM   #9

They are both very good lenses but have different purposes in life.

The 18-200mm VR covers wide angle to telephoto and is meant as a one lens solution that covers the major focal lengths. In your case it would probably replace the 18-70mm as your main lens.

The 70-300VR is a medium to long telephoto and is meant to be used with a mid-range zoom to cover the wide to medium telephoto range. Your 18-70mm would compliment the coverage of this lens very well. Obviously the 70-300mm gives more reach at the long end that is very useful.

In either case an ultra-wide such as the Sigma 10-20mm or Nikon 12-24mm will round out your kit very nicely.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote