Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 20, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1

hey everyone, new to the boards, so let me introduce myself. I'm john, been shooting since april of 07 with a d40x.

that leads me to my next question: i'm debating selling the d40x for a d80. mainly because of the lens limitations of the d40. also, i like the top LCD, and the 11-point AF area. But are those features reason enough to sell the d40x for a D80?
Dofredo_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:26 AM   #2

I wouldn't sell it just yet. Only if you really feel really limited by the lens options. At least finish this year with the d40x and pherhaps the spring, and who knows nikon might introduce a new camera by then that will be worth the upgrade.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3

The most attractive aspect of the D40x is probably its size. It's small enough to take with you just about anywhere. You may want to hold onto that as a backup. The D80 and higher models are significantly bigger.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 10:49 AM   #4

Sell it. The D80 is also pretty small doesnt really matter. Plus with all the extra things you can do with the D80 as you mention better lens options, go for it.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 1:18 AM   #5

well, i've had the camera since about april, so i'm sure that i haven't outgrown the D40x. it just seems that i feel limited by the lens selections. but then again, instead of buying a d80, i could just apply the funds towards some better glass. Then, when i'm ready for an upgrade, i'd have a good amount of glass, as well as a better body.

thanks for the help, JOHN
Dofredo_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:28 PM   #6

I have the D40 and have pondered the same issue re: the D80. I do like the smaller size body of the D40. Size and weight issues are important to me. I believe the D80 has 10 m/pixel chip, but I'm not publishing my shots nor am I making huge prints, so the extra mp's wouldn't be a big thing for me. I would like to have the wireless flash commander feature, but I'm not sure how much I'd use that. I've learned to work with the displays in the D40 and the limitations on the controls. Again, I'm not a pro so taking a few more seconds here and there don't affect me as much. The limited lens selection seems to be a big drawback to some folks. I didn't have any Nikon lenses previously and I've managed to get those that I need from Nikon and Sigma. I have the Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 18-55 and Nikon 55-200, so I'm pretty well covered.

So, it all goes to my decision to stay with the D40 at this time. I will put my next photo $$$ towards the Nikon 70-300 VR lens instead. Anyway, that's one man's opinion.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 12:27 PM   #7

My two cents as a D40 owner...

I also was worried about the lenses but then realized that even if a million lenses were available, I'd still only buy the ones I needed. Also, more and more are being produced with internal focus motors so as time goes by, there will be more than enough of a selection.

The extra goodies on higher level non-pro cameras are neat but to me their just 'goodies', the final image comes down to the image quality. Once you take a photo, then do your post processing on it and post or print it, no one can tell if it was shot by a D40, D80 or D200. The advantages are only in the opportunities of what you can shoot. If your into very fast action and need really high frames per second with a ton of focus points for tracking, then maybe a much higher level camera would lend more usable shots. But if a person is into landscapes, nature shots, buildings, ect they might not even need many of the higher end features.

A D40/x is not a beginner camera, the photo relies mostly on the talent of the photographer.
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:16 PM   #8

gregm1948 wrote:
Quote:
I have the D40 and have pondered the same issue re: the D80. I do like the smaller size body of the D40. Size and weight issues are important to me. I believe the D80 has 10 m/pixel chip, but I'm not publishing my shots nor am I making huge prints, so the extra mp's wouldn't be a big thing for me. I would like to have the wireless flash commander feature, but I'm not sure how much I'd use that. I've learned to work with the displays in the D40 and the limitations on the controls. Again, I'm not a pro so taking a few more seconds here and there don't affect me as much. The limited lens selection seems to be a big drawback to some folks. I didn't have any Nikon lenses previously and I've managed to get those that I need from Nikon and Sigma. I have the Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 18-55 and Nikon 55-200, so I'm pretty well covered.

So, it all goes to my decision to stay with the D40 at this time. I will put my next photo $$$ towards the Nikon 70-300 VR lens instead. Anyway, that's one man's opinion.

Greg
Quote:
Couldn't agree with yo more greg, I have the D40 with the same lenses you have and they cover about every shot, i've took upto now. as you say the 300mm is a need, i wouldn't mind one too for that extra zoom.
Redsquare is offline   Reply With Quote