Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2007, 1:22 PM   #1

I am getting ready to purchase my first dslr. I am torn between the d50 and d40. I understand about the focusing motor issues in the d40 but like it's small size and large lcd. The d50 is compatitble with older lenses which would help my budget as I expand my lens collection. This will be a general purpose camera but my daughter is active in karate and I want to be able to take indoor action shots of her as well as some baseball shots of my son and action photos of our animals. I do plan to learn a lot and not just treat the camera as a point and shoot. Any advice or opinions is appreciated. I plan on purchasing this weekend!
tolpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2007, 3:15 PM   #2

I agree with you about the attraction of the small size and large LCD of the D40. It is also very attractively priced and is a super first DSLR (speaking from personal experience). It is great for most indoor use due to its high ISO capability, but you should search for JohnG's input on indoor action where you need fast lenses (read large and expensive lenses) to allow high shutter speeds to freeze the action. There will be more choice of lenses with the D50 at less cost from other suppliers such as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. Fast Nikon lenses are very good but expensive.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:11 PM   #3

My son is in karate as well, and most of the tournaments you will be shooting for your daughter will likely be under flourescent lighting (gymnasiums, etc). The light metering of the D50 is better than that of the D40, and the D50 is not THAT much bigger than the 40 to hold in your hand. If you plan on learning about digital photography to the extent that you are talking about, then you will appreciate learning on the D50, as it is less point and shoot than the D40 (in my opinion) and you will be familiar with the layout of the bigger body if and when you upgrade to a D80-D200/D300 body later down the road. I have a D50 and just upgraded to a D80 just because of the 10meg resolution, the ISO goes all the way down to 100 on the D80 and I use the extra focal points in the viewfinder. You wouldn't think this makes a big difference, but I have seen a lot of noise in some of my shots that I thought would have been tack sharp. Either camera will suit your needs, but the D50 is a little cheaper to find and much more compatible with the HIGH end lenses that you will eventually grow into as a photographer. I would personally recommend the D50 so you can find bargains on used lenses, rather than haveing to use only AF/s Nikkor lenses for a D40. Good luck with either one you choose, you can't really make a bad choice.

onomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2007, 4:15 PM   #4

This was a quote from another post:

"My suggestion is to find a used D50 or a D80 or a D70 and shune the D40x.

It is so much less than either of the other ones.

It has no top display, it has no internal focus motor, it has no flash commander, it has no 2nd selection wheel, and it feels like a toy compared to the other Nikons.

I would totally refuse to buy one of those camera's id rather spend my money on a Canon XTI and I am a Nikon lover, except the D40x

You say you will be happy with it and you will be for a month or so and then when you want to expand your lens selection then you will realise how limeted you are.

You cant use most of the prime lens that give you much better quality than most zooms, unless you manual focus

Forget the D40x and get a real camera.

you can get a used D50 cheaper than the D40x

and there is very little differance in the price of the D80 and D40x

think about this before you make a mistake that most other D40 users made."

onomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:07 PM   #5

just wanted to let you know I just bought a factory demo d50 from Cameta Camera. I have bought several cameras from them and felt confident doing business with them. It came with the nikon 28-80mm lens which I know is not the greatest but will get me started. Thanks for your input. It reinforced what I was already leaning towards.

Thanks again!
tolpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote