Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:50 AM   #11

I just purchased the 50mm f/1.8D and I own the Nikon D80. The lens works when set on 22, but if I unlock it and change it to any other aperture setting, it won't lock or work. The Error fEE comes up and it won't let me take pictures on any other setting. Help! Is this normal? Should I return it? Or is it only supposed to work on 22?
fayrwathorwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:49 AM   #12

fayrwathorwen wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased the 50mm f/1.8D and I own the Nikon D80. The lens works when set on 22, but if I unlock it and change it to any other aperture setting, it won't lock or work. The Error fEE comes up and it won't let me take pictures on any other setting. Help! Is this normal? Should I return it? Or is it only supposed to work on 22?
The lens is not defective. The aperature ring was used to control aperature on older slr bodies that did not control aperature through the body. The newer SLR's and all the DSLR's control the aperature through the command dial. Leave the aperature ring locked at F22. To manually select aperature, shoot in aperature priority (A mode on your top dial) and spin the front command dial to select the aperature you desire. Obviously you can also do so in manual mode as well.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:08 PM   #13

rjseeney,

Thanks so much for your help... and the quick response!!
fayrwathorwen is offline   Reply With Quote