Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:26 PM   #1
RL

I am looking to purchaseone of the two. I prefer the D200 but I'm not sure I am going to need that much camera. The D80 still is a nice camera and would most likely be enough. Is it going to be worth the extra money to go with the D200? If I decide on the D200 would it be worth the wait for the D300? The camera will mostly be used for general family type pictures but it will also be used action shots while snowmobiling and shooting the kids activities such as hockey, soccer, etc.

Thanks

Randy
RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:31 PM   #2

Hi Randy,
You'll probably get a great variety of answers on this question, but here's my two cents. I own the D80 and love it. I am just a hobbyist and find it produces great results and is capable of excellent prints even at larger sizes. It has much in common with the D200 and I don't think in your (or my) case justifies the price difference. I would go with the D80 and spend the difference on some quality lenses. Now, on the other hand, if you have all the money in the world...hell yes, get the D300 :-)
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:01 PM   #3

Just my 2 cents, but I own the d200 and my old man has the d80. If you're not looking to do studio shots, pre-set lighting, etc., then I'd go with the d80. Colors appear to be a bit brigher (comparing similar outdoor photos in bright daylight), it's a bit lighter, and excellent results even with higher ISOs.

The d200 has (for me, at least) a lot of noise when you get to ISO 800 or higher, so those indoor shots (I'm in Alaska, most of the winter it's darkish, even indoors) need the higher ISO.

D80 is missing some features from the d200, but it's pretty solid for the price.
volchonok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 9:51 PM   #4

I'm using a D80 and the only D200 feature I wish it had would be the ability to meter through my old AI prime lenses.

----------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:04 AM   #5

here's my input...

the D80 is the way to go for your use...

i was also tied up between the 2 and i went out and used a D70 and a foudn that it fitted what i needed whihc was mostly sports shooting, purely as a hobby, and then for usual family stuff...

i tried out a friends D200 as well, and yeah its frilliping awesome, but i would never use it to its full potential, and thus tried out the D80 at a track day last and just loved it....

yeah the 3frames per sec sometimes does feel slow, but man its an awesome machine....

ive taken some F1 GP pics with my D80 whihc ill post here for you to see as well...
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 6:11 AM   #6

pls remember im not pro...just got the camera in march this year..

here are some pics taken with the D80 and my 18-135 lens at the French GP this year.

and here is an Indoor shot with the SB600 flash.taken inside a club and it was very dark.

snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:51 AM   #7

Why don`t you consider the D40 , it makes pretty amazing pictures , crisp and sharp and it`s very good at high ISO , i`d say even better then the D80 at ISO 1600.
It`s tiny and very well build.

Have a look here at what ken Rockwell has to say about it , he`s a pro and knows a lot about Nikon gear , he`s got just about everything in he`s bag :lol:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

If you settle for AF-S lenses , this would be the best choice for your bugs , you`ll be saving a lot :G .

I see 2 combinations possible :

D40 & Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 + Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR
D40 & Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (maybe slightly less efficient then the 2 other lenses but the best universal lens ever).

Pics taken with D40 & 18-70mm :|
Attached Images

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:51 AM   #8

Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:54 AM   #9

This combination will give you also very good results in portrait photography .

Nothing beats examples to give you good advise , right :G
Attached Images

Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:56 AM   #10

Attached Images