Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Oct 26, 2007, 11:55 AM   #1

[align=left]SB400 flashgun vs 50mm f1.8AF
[/align][align=left]Which should I buy to use with a D40.The flash to go with the kit lens,or the 50mm lens to take indoor pictures?
[/align]
excollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:54 PM   #2

Both Sometimes, even at f1.8, there isn't enough lite to get proper exposure. Also, wide open, this lens is a bit soft and DOF will be extremely shallow, making getting everything you need in focus difficult if not impossible. You also have to deal with the length of this lens. I find it to be a bit long for indoor shots.

A flash is more versatile and will help your photography in many different situations. The 50mm lens is a great lens, but because of limitiations I don't find myself using it very often.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 4:05 PM   #3

Entirely agree with rjseeney. I have the 50mm lens and the SB600 flash with my D40. It is much easier to get good images with bounced flash indoors than with the 50mm lens in limited light. The fast lens is great for subject isolation (not good for multiple subjects!), but the extra light is more useable.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:47 PM   #4

can only agree with whats being stated here. I just recently sold my 50mm 1.4D since i couldn┬Ęt live with 50mm on a crop camera for indoors. Now im spending the money on a flash instead
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:36 AM   #5

excollier wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]SB400 flashgun vs 50mm f1.8AF
[/align]
[align=left]Which should I buy to use with a D40.The flash to go with the kit lens,or the 50mm lens to take indoor pictures?
[/align]
Yes I would like opinions which to get talking of flashguns for my D40 SB 400 0r SB 600 ,
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:18 PM   #6

Thanks for your help.I think I may go with the flash,it seems to be a more versatile option.
excollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:36 AM   #7

SB 400 uses only two batteries. Has a quicker recycling time. Turns on instantly. Headswivels for bounce but only thing it does not do is rotate like the SB 600 or SB 800. The cost is half that of the SB 600 and one third the SB 800. I have two SB 800's for creative lighting system. Will be getting two more with umbrella set-up as well.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:06 AM   #8

a flash is not a substitue for a fast lens, and a fast lens is not a substitute for a flash.

i recommend both. the 50 1.8 is about the best quality compared to cost that you can get from a lens.

cdfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:33 AM   #9

Speed aside....

Isuggest trying to set your kit lens to 50mm and then shooting where you would imagine using the 50mm 1.8D. YEs you cant compare the speed but 50mm is quite long ona crop camera. If it turns out to long for you, sigma has a 30mm 1.4D ( though at a considerable higher price ).

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:00 AM   #10

In my experience, I found that the SB-400 just did not have enough light for effective bouncing, so I went back to the SB-800.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote