Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:07 AM   #11

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
Hello everybody, just got my D80 and a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS for a couple of weeks. Was trying out the internal flash the other day and was not very happy with the results. The pictures with flash appeared very dark and with a greenish color tone (white balance was set at AUTO). Not sure if there is something wrong with the camera. Did a series of test today to show you guys, may be someone here can help me out here.

I took a picture of stuff toys at about 10 feet away. Put the D80 in aparture pirority (Mode A). Set it to f5.6 for all the shots, shutter is constant at 1/60sec. The only variation is the ISO setting, so you can see the difference.

This is a control shot of the same subject, no flash was used on this one.
I thought I'd go throught the steps on aperture setting............

position my self 12 feet from subject ..switch on cam ..select aperture mode

use front dial to select 5.6.........ok

push shutter release button half way down...focus assist light comes on.........allowcam

to focus.....shoot........... result. 1. .........camera chose1600 isoas well:shock:WOW

Oh!! no flash

Press flash release button with left hand at the front of camera...looks like a little

lightning sign on it...........flash pops up :G

then shutter release button half way down............focus assist light comes on

allow camera to focus......... then shoot.........flash fires...

...........result 2. camera chose160 iso

still a bit dull with just the little camera flash?........try adjusting in raw therapee :idea:

............result 3.

.........................ah!!! :Ggetting the hang of it now.......Iexifs on photo's :bye:...... musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:44 PM   #12

PhotoFusion2 wrote:
Quote:
Are you checking the settings on the flash or in the camera?

The setting that I am talking about is in the camera itself.
I've been refering to choices in item 22 of the "Custom Setting Menu" of the camera (Built In Flash - TTL or Manual or Commander Mode). Is there any other place I should look at?

Musket, thank you for your detail flash demonstration. You result had reinforced my suspicion that there is something wrong with my camera. Here's another sample from my camera with it's built in flash. I tried to make the distance and background close to your situation.
(Distance: 12 feet, f/5.6, 1/60sec, meter: center weighted averaging) However, ISO is at 1000, and the exposure meter inside the viewfinder already indicating it will be under exposed.
Attached Images

bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 5:23 AM   #13

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
PhotoFusion2 wrote:
Quote:
Are you checking the settings on the flash or in the camera?

The setting that I am talking about is in the camera itself.
I've been refering to choices in item 22 of the "Custom Setting Menu" of the camera (Built In Flash - TTL or Manual or Commander Mode). Is there any other place I should look at?

Musket, thank you for your detail flash demonstration. You result had reinforced my suspicion that there is something wrong with my camera. Here's another sample from my camera with it's built in flash. I tried to make the distance and background close to your situation.
(Distance: 12 feet, f/5.6, 1/60sec, meter: center weighted averaging) However, ISO is at 1000, and the exposure meter inside the viewfinder already indicating it will be under exposed.

I can only suggest camera 'two button reset' on page 44 of the manual

also 'try out another lens' to eliminate the possiblity of faulty lens mechanism or chip

it says on your exif you're using a 'G' series lens (not DC)on mine it says 'D' series, if the lens

remained stuckor somehow goes tohighest stop number that would account for under exposed

shots even though it says f5.6 to the camera it might be f32 or higher :idea:

if things are still the same then get the camera seen to by nikon repair.

My lens is the 18-135 Nikon kit lens and checking on the web I came across this

The 'D' means the lens and camera have a Distance program into the software that the camera uses for flash (and non-flash) photography.

Some Nikon lenses are now 'assembled' in locations other than Japan: some folks find 'Made in China' good and down the road selling the same may be 'fun.' Sigma, Tokina, Tamron will work on your Nikon F80 but how well? The AF 28-105mm f3.5D~ Nikkor (not the 'G' model) is a good starter lens.

The 'G' type Nikkor has no means of setting the f-stop with anything but a Nikon body that has a wheel to do so (F100; F5; F80.)

something else to try is to use the dial to wind up to highest stop and then back down to 5.6...........musket:idea:

Old Nov 9, 2007, 1:00 AM   #14

Musket, did the two button reset as you suggested, seemed like there is some slight improvement or was that just my imagination:?. One thing for sure, now if I go the the custom setting menu and switch the built in flash from iTTL mode to Manual with full power, the picture appeared much brighter (which wasn't like this before). Not sure what this means, may be that flash really bright enough just there is something else causes it not to put the right amount of juice? Perhaps, like you said, something wrong with my Sigma 18-200 OS lens.

Unfortunately that's the only lens I have right now but I had another lens on order (Nikkor 20-80 f/3.5-5.6) but that is a cheap G series lens too. Should get it in about a week then I can do some more test. Hopefully can figure something more concrete out. Thanks for all your suggestions.
bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 7:02 AM   #15

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
Musket, did the two button reset as you suggested, seemed like there is some slight improvement or was that just my imagination:?. One thing for sure, now if I go the the custom setting menu and switch the built in flash from iTTL mode to Manual with full power, the picture appeared much brighter (which wasn't like this before). Not sure what this means, may be that flash really bright enough just there is something else causes it not to put the right amount of juice? Perhaps, like you said, something wrong with my Sigma 18-200 OS lens.

Unfortunately that's the only lens I have right now but I had another lens on order (Nikkor 20-80 f/3.5-5.6) but that is a cheap G series lens too. Should get it in about a week then I can do some more test. Hopefully can figure something more concrete out. Thanks for all your suggestions.
SomethingI forgot to add the switches on camera body and lens were set at

AF I've only everchanged the body switch once to manual, to focus on a white

background object with little detail on it at highest stop(aperture mode)to get a dust picture

and then switched back to AF......I found the camera wont shoot if it cant focus

on a subject that lacks detail to focus on, unlessI use manual focus and then

only the one switch is changed...the one on the body to MF........I hope you get

get the problem sorted...............musket