Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:33 PM   #1

Hello everybody, just got my D80 and a Sigma 18-200mm DC OS for a couple of weeks. Was trying out the internal flash the other day and was not very happy with the results. The pictures with flash appeared very dark and with a greenish color tone (white balance was set at AUTO). Not sure if there is something wrong with the camera. Did a series of test today to show you guys, may be someone here can help me out here.

I took a picture of stuff toys at about 10 feet away. Put the D80 in aparture pirority (Mode A). Set it to f5.6 for all the shots, shutter is constant at 1/60sec. The only variation is the ISO setting, so you can see the difference.

This is a control shot of the same subject, no flash was used on this one.
Attached Images

bright eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2007, 6:40 PM   #2

This is the series of test shots. As I said All pictures was taken at the same setting (10 feet away; Mode:A; f5.6; 1/60sec; white balance: AUTO) except picture #1, which I use a AUTO Mode with AUTO ISO. For me, even the one taken at ISO 1600 is still not quite bright enough.

I had a Pentax DSLR and I took the same picture with the smae setting and it came out with "correct" exposure. Please help!
Attached Images

Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:35 PM   #3

bright eyes wrote:
Quote:
This is the series of test shots. As I said All pictures was taken at the same setting (10 feet away; Mode:A; f5.6; 1/60sec; white balance: AUTO) except picture #1, which I use a AUTO Mode with AUTO ISO. For me, even the one taken at ISO 1600 is still not quite bright enough.

I had a Pentax DSLR and I took the same picture with the smae setting and it came out with "correct" exposure. Please help!
At this price and equip range, it may as well get rid of the built in flash entirely.
Not worth it at all to improve the built in flash I have to say.
And that is from a Pentaxian. I have not even owned any Nikon equipment. I would believe 10 ft is already beyond the design criteria

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4

Without EXIF info, it's hard to tell exactly what might be wrong. Did you visually see the flash fire?? If so, it may be set to commander mode only, in which case it fires only to pop the slave flashes and doesn't contribute to exposure.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:37 PM   #5

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
At this price and equip range, it may as well get rid of the built in flash entirely.
Not worth it at all to improve the built in flash I have to say.
And that is from a Pentaxian. I have not even owned any Nikon equipment. I would believe 10 ft is already beyond the design criteria

Daniel, Toronto
Hi Daniel, nice to hear from you. I see what you are saying with the built-in flash, but sometimes it comes in handy when you don't have the external one with you. If there is something wrong with it, I need to get it fixed or exhanged. You know, this D80 set up is considerably more expensive than my old DL2, I expected it (the built-in flash)to be at least the same, if not better.:sad:
Old Nov 4, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Without EXIF info, it's hard to tell exactly what might be wrong. Did you visually see the flash fire?? If so, it may be set to commander mode only, in which case it fires only to pop the slave flashes and doesn't contribute to exposure.
rjseeney, the flash was in TLL mode (custom setting)with compensation set at 0. The flash did fired as I could see them at the corner of my eye and is also stated in the EXIF info. Enclosed this resized shot of the 200 ISO pictures with EXIF data intact.
Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:17 AM   #7

funny, looks like there was no flash at all. The shadows on the wall are all soft and probably from a window near. I'd go back to the store if i were you.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:48 AM   #8

I would check your settings in the camera. I beleive you probably have the flash mode setto commander mode which is only used to remotely fire an off camera flash and does not contribute any (much) light to the scene form the onboard flash.

Change your setting to I-TTL

PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:02 AM   #9

The flash setting was definitely set at ITTL not Commander Mode and I tried the test again under different environment and the result was similar. Actually I even tried it at Manual mode with Full power and the result was still much darker than I expected. The only improvement that I can get was get closer to the subject (5 feet) and cranked up the flash compensation and the exposure compensation. Just seemed like it is kind of out of ordinary based on the G/N of the built in flash from the test report.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:52 AM   #10

Are you checking the settings on the flash or in the camera?

The setting that I am talking about is in the camera itself.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote