Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 24, 2007, 8:24 PM   #1

Hello All,

Please keep this thread to yourselves, don't link to it, and download only if you are really interested in the D300. I don't want to have bandwidth problems.

These images were shot as Fine Jpegs, camera defaut settings, and are straight out of my D300, with 18-200 VR lens. Only cloned a few hairs on three.

Absolutely nothing else no PP, no resizing.

Note:these were shot with my SB-800 on Manual and held off camera by me to my left side above my head, using my Pocket Wizards. Never could do this with my Canon 550EX's.

I must say I never, ever could get this type of result straight out of myD60, 5D, R-1, etc.

You can download the originals ( please pick only one of the group )

http://nickphoto123.zenfolio.com/p148074544/?photo=h1441F09C#339865756

The password is '' forstevesonly "

I will make the gallery Public and prevent downloads if traffic becomes a problem.

I have alot more confidence in my D300 than I did yesterday.

Of course, I'm waiting for your comments, responses.

Regards,

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:03 AM   #2
NHL

nickphoto123 wrote:
Quote:
Note:these were shot with my SB-800 on Manual and held off camera by me to my left side above my head, using my Pocket Wizards. Never could do this with my Canon 550EX's.
Just curious...

Why can't you use the "remote commander" mode on the D300 to control the SB-800?
Wouldn't this alleviates the problem of having carry two extra devices (and also less flexible)?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:05 PM   #3

Because I didn't get a chance to read the manual yet.

Also, I did not want any flash from my camera, it ruins the color fidelity of the shot.

I briefly read the Sb800 must be in front of the camera under certain conditions in the remote mode. Still to try it, can't wait.

For these shots I held my SB800 above my head to the left and a bit behind me, backwards away from my camera.

I wanted to test the PC terminal on my SB800, something I sorely missed having on my Canon 550EX's. It works great.

I was looking for your comments on the D300 images.

The gallery is now Public and downloads are no longer available.

Nicholas

Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Also, I did not want any flash from my camera, it ruins the color fidelity of the shot.
The camera's flash can be used in commander mode without contributing to exposure. I've never shot with the D300, but have never encountered color shifts with the D80 or D200 when shooting in commander mode. Also, the Sb800 is the stronger light source and is more likely to cause color shift than the slight trigger flash from the camera. You shouldn't have any problems with the Sb800 firing remotely, even if it is slightly behind the camera.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:11 PM   #5
NHL

I agree, the on-camera flash can be programmed such that it does not contribute to the overall lighting - Ditto on the Canon as all theses controlling pre-flashes coded beams emitted from the on-camera flash occur before the shutter is actually opened... During the main firing, i.e. when the shutter is actually opened, only the pertinent flash (or groups of flashes) fires.
-> The commander flash on the camera do not contribute to the lighting unless you want it (and programmed it) to!

That's right the 550EX does not have a sync terminal, but its replacement the 580EX does have a PC terminal. It's not a big deal since most people can use a hot-shoe adapter to attach their older 550EX to the Pocket Wizards
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:11 PM   #6

Excellent looking photo samples, Nick! Thanks for posting them.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I agree, the on-camera flash can be programmed such that it does not contribute to the overall lighting - Ditto on the Canon as all theses controlling pre-flashes coded beams emitted from the on-camera flash occur before the shutter is actually opened... During the main firing, i.e. when the shutter is actually opened, only the pertinent flash (or groups of flashes) fires.
-> The commander flash on the camera do not contribute to the lighting unless you want it (and programmed it) to!
Yep. Ditto for the Konica Minolta or Sony DSLR models (Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, 7D; Sony DSLR-A100, DSLR-A700), as you probably know.

The built in flash with these cameras can be used to control compatible flashes that are off camera, without the camera's built in flash contributing to the exposure. The control pulses from the built in flash come before the mirror flips out of the way for the actual exposure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:18 AM   #8

Well, I finally read the manual , a little, and tried the built-in flash in Commander mode, to my SB800 in direct bright sunshine and it worked everytime.

my Canon 550EX's would never pass this test.

I am very glad I went to Nikon for this reason, one of many I am learning exist with my D300.

So far I am realizing the D300 is a 'photographer's camera' in ways my 5D is not.

All IMHO.

Nicholas