Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1

Been looking a DSLR cameras, reading reviews, reading Steve's board (a lot) and thought everything was becoming clear. Then I went to the Nikon web site and instead of finding more answers I became confused again.Here is what happen, I pulled the comparison chart to read about the difference between the D80 and the D200. I expected to see a lot of extras on the D200 over the D80 but I didn't see much at all. D200, faster FPS and a stronger constructed body but everything else seem to be the same. Did I miss something in my reading?

Also have a second question if you don't mind? I have read that (here at Steve's)not all of Nikon's lenses will work onthe lowerend models (D40,50, 70 and D80).What I would like to know is will all of the lenses that work on the lower end models work on Nikon's upper end models (D200 or D2 mainly)? As the wife is looking at the D80 for herself (she says for me) and I have a chance to get a D2 or D200 (body only) fromthe photo department here at work for about$200.00 that is of course a used camera. As they are upgrading to D3's and D300's for back up (nice back up unit) cameras and selling their barely used D2 and D200 to member of the company photo club.

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:22 AM   #2

For lens compatability, see here.

Can you get me a D200 for $200?

David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 2:37 AM   #3

Forgot about this one, too.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the links, they both will be a big help to me.

As for the price on the D2, D200 cameras, I work for a government contract company and the only way they can get rid of something is to scrap it out at salvage prices. Hey works for me, if I can get one of them and I am pulling in all the favors owed me to do so too.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:08 AM   #5

Best of luck toward getting one of those Nikons!
Old Dec 5, 2007, 3:10 AM   #6

Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:14 AM   #7

Inrealityyou only have to worry about lens issues if you have either the D40 or D40X. Nikon removed the autofocus motor from the D40 series to cut down on weight and size and even then thelenses can be focussed manually.

As far asthe D80 or D200 are concerned youshould be able to use pretty much any Nikon F-mount lens currently available. Just exercise a bit of care with very old lenses and use the compatability chart already mentioned or the one on Nikon's website.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:09 PM   #8

One other difference between the D80 (Which I have) and the D200 is the D200 can utilize the WT-3a; the wireless transmitter. I know there are SD cards out there now that will send files wirelessly, but they are flawed. They only send JPEG files, and will not send the RAW files, and they do NOT delete images after they are sent. Kind of defeats the purpose of transmitting files to keep on shooting, doesn't it?

Anyway, after a HUGE photo shoot on Halloween, I wish I had bought the D200 and fitted it with the wireless traamsmitter. The line for pictures got clogged a few times as I changed SD cards and moved the images from the SD card to my laptop. With the wireless option for the D200, that woldn't have been an issue. And, the WT-3a also allows your D200 to operate in portrait mode much more easily (Here's a link: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25341).

But, if you don't have the need, then it's a non issue. I just wanted to point out a feature that I wish I now had, based on the number of photo shoots we're doing these days.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:30 PM   #9

Ron519098, that's good to know and as I only plan to use newer lenses then there shouldn't be any problems.

HughesInNC, the wireless transmitter sounds like a nice extra but not something I can see using. I may be getting back into shooting weddings again and always found enough time to change film, so a SD card should even be faster for me to change. Of course I am a bit older and SD cards are smaller than a roll of 120 film but with a bit of luck I should be able to see that little SD slot:G.

Thanks again,

Craig