Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2007, 4:15 AM   #1

Picture quality between two models. Pls comment.
Thanks
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:09 AM   #2

Image quality will be similiar when used with the same lenses. The real difference in the cameras lie in the extra features and control of the D80. The biggest difference is the ability of the D80 to auto focus with non AF-S lenses because of it's in body focus motor. It's also a bit faster, has more focus points and allows you to control SB600 or SB800 flashes off camera. If you don't need all of this, then save your money, get the D40x. Differences in image quality are so minor, it shouldn't even come into question when deciding.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 5:46 PM   #3
csd

"If you don't need all of this, then save your money, get the D40x. "
There are a couple of other things to consider - points I used in my recent trade-off (ended up with the D80).
The D80 has a very nice top LCD display that shows all current settings - on the D40x you have to look at the back LCD to figure out what you might have changed. I hate using and looking at the back LCD for settings - like the small top-display.
The D80 and D40x are ergonimically different - if you have big hands and are used to a Film SLR - the D40x may feel very small and awkward - perhaps you can get used to it after a while - but I wasn't sure if I could. These may sound like small points compared to things like features, FPS, etc. - but I certainly didn't discount them. As far as image quality - from all my research - if this is your primary concern - you are better off with the D40x and spending the extra money on higher-quality lenses.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:15 AM   #4

Thanks a lot. Please comment problem to use a SB-600 as slave flash. I have SB-600 as main and two vivtar, (modified for manual control) with slave flash trigger.
Thanks again.
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:04 AM   #5

What kind of problem are you having?? The Sb600 can be used as a slave flash in any circumstance with the D80, as the D80's on board flash can be used as a commander. The D40x cannot be used this way..to use the SB600 remotely, you'll need an SB800.

Factoring in the vivitar's could create additional problems.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:28 PM   #6

anyone care to comment on any difference if any between the D40 and D40X, as you have answered my questions between the D80 and D40X
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:31 PM   #7

if you haven't already have a look at this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 7:22 PM   #8

John-

In all honesty you are going to most probably have a difficult time finding a Nikon D-50. Is it better than the Nikon D-40 or the D-40X? No, it is really not. But I will let you share with us why you think that the Nikon D-50 is the better choice. I happen to think that the the D-40X far exceeds the D-50.

However, I will simply leave it up to you, without the help of Ken Rockwell to explain to me personally why the D-50 is the better choice in DSLR cameras????

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:04 AM   #9

Sarah, Have you read the Ken Rockwell article?

"As far as I know, the D50 has been discontinued. It is replaced by the superior D40, and to be honest, I prefer my D40 over my D70 and even D80, anyway. You may be able to snap up a deal on the closed-out D50, but I'd get the D40"

For me the lack of support for my non AF-S lenses, three focus points and no top LCD are deal breakers but if it suits your needs it looks like a great camera for the price.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:51 PM   #10

Ken-

I surely do agree with you. I own both the D-40 and D-40X.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote