Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:00 AM   #1

I have really enjoyed my Nikon d50, and there will always be a newer, better camera. My question is , about the Nikon d80. It does seem to have alot of features that the d50 doesn't have. I am looking for advice on solid picture quality. Whether to invest in another camera or not. I think my lenses would fit from what I have read. Any advice would be appreciated, whether to stay where I am, or be able to get even better quality pictures. Where does it end?

Thanks
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:02 AM   #2

It doesn't end. There will always be something newer and better. Image quality wise, the D80 does offer a bit more resolution, and definitely offers more features and control. This may or may not make your images better. If you have poor technique or don't understand the basics of photography, a better body will not automatically yield better results. what you have to ask yourself is how is the d50 limiting your photography. What can't it do that you need it to do. For 8x10 prints, I doubt that you'll notice much of a difference between the 2 cameras.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:41 PM   #3

Hello mcdaniel,
I upgraded from the D50 to the D80 a while back. rjseeney is right, the difference in image quality is negligible...particularly at normal print sizes. The biggest reason I upgraded was that the D80 had many of the functions I used the most right on the body, as opposed to accessible only through the menu on the D50. A few other small improvements aside, it was more of a convenience thing than any big difference between the two cameras. If picture quality is your main concern, I would stick with the D50 and spend on lenses. My two cents...good luck!
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:25 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am really pretty happy with the d50. It does take great pictures. And I get to keep some money!
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote