Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:38 AM   #1

As I am a newbie to Raw and have so far always shot in J.Peg.Will I be able to shoot in Raw with the D40x and use my Photoshop Elements 4 to make adjustments as one review said the D40x raw files were different.I dont know quite what that means but if it meansI have got to buy a load of new software it will affect my decision to buy the D40x.I realise the D80 would solve the problem but I dont really want the extra weight ifI can help it.I would appreciate any advice on this.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 7:14 AM   #2
Administrator

Mac or Windows?

You'll need Adobe Camera Raw version 4.1 or higher. But, this Camera Raw version requires Photoshop Elements 5.0 in Windows or 4.0 for Mac.

It won't work in Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Windows.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3647

You could convert the .nef files to .dng format first using the Adobe DNG Converter (it's a free download). Then, convert the .dng files using Elements. IOW, it would be a two step process.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:55 AM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Mac or Windows?

You'll need Adobe Camera Raw version 4.1 or higher. But, this Camera Raw version requires Photoshop Elements 5.0 in Windows or 4.0 for Mac.

It won't work in Photoshop Elements 4.0 for Windows.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3647

You could convert the .nef files to .dng format first using the Adobe DNG Converter (it's a free download). Then, convert the .dng files using Elements. IOW, it would be a two step process.

Ihave windows xp
Quote:
Sorry I am such a newbie at this but the latter suggestion you have made,would I be able to do that without purchasing Adobe Camera Raw Version and photo elements 5.Also would you know whether the D80 would be a cheaper alternative as perhaps my current software would be ok? Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:08 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes.

Adobe offers a free .dng converter you can download from here that would work:

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/index.html

Note that you do not want to install the plugin from Adobe Camera Raw mentioned in the instructions (that one will not work with Photoshop Elements 4 in Windows). But, the DNG converter will work. It can convert your .nef (Nikon's raw files) into .dng format. Then, you can use the Camera Raw version in Photoshop Elements 4 to convert the .dng files to a usable format (jpeg, tiff, etc.).

There are also a number of free raw converters you can use, with no need to convert to .dng first (they'll support the native .nef files from the D40x). Here are a couple:

Raw Therapee

UFRaw

Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:12 AM   #5

Phew that was quick.

Thanks a lot Jim C that was invaluable advice.

Happy Christmas and a Healthy and Prosperous New Year to you and yours.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 3:10 PM   #6

Don't know what the upgrade to Elements 6 costs but it works fine with D40 RAW files without loading any other software.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:12 AM   #7

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
Don't know what the upgrade to Elements 6 costs but it works fine with D40 RAW files without loading any other software.
Would you know if the D40 and the D40x are the same in that respect ?
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Administrator

The D40 was added in an earlier Adobe Camera Raw 3.7 release, which will work with Elements 4.0 or 5.0 (no upgrade to later Elements version needed for D40 support).

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3587

Old Dec 22, 2007, 5:13 PM   #9

Sorry - don't know if the D40 and D40x RAW files differ. I would have thought that they would be the same, but there may be a specific camera type in the file header that the RAW software looks for. Looking at the Adobe forum, it appears that D40 is supported by Camera RAW 3.7 but not D40x.

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc3a081/11- this thread appears to indicate that Camera RAW 4.1 supports the D40x but you need Elements 5. (as JimC pointed out in his first response)
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:10 PM   #10
Administrator

The D40 and D40x are different cameras, with different raw files. The D40 is a 6MP camera and the D40x is a 10MP camera.

The D40 was added to Camera Raw version 3.7. The newer D40x was not added until Camera Raw version 4.1