Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:57 PM   #1

Has anyone done any testing of Sandisk III vs IV performance in the camera? xfer speed to my laptop is not a huge issue for me but camera performance differences likely would be.

Thanks,

jsfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:16 PM   #2

It only becomes an issue if you do alot of rapid shooting that fills up the cameras buffer...once the buffer is full, a faster write speed will flush the buffer faster, allowing you to shoot quickly again. If you just take mostly single shots or sequences of 5-10 shots in rapid succession, you likely won't notice a difference in performance in camera. As you mention, it does make a difference if you downloading alot of photos to your computer, and faster write/read speads are useful.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:45 PM   #3

Shooting Sandisk Ultra 2.0 and have not had any probs with it at all...
seanile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:30 AM   #4

I'll occasionally attempt to shoot 30 - 50 frames of raw. If the D300 can take advantage of the speed of the Sandisk IV then the extra cost is easily worth it, but if it can't take advantage of it then the cost is not. I need to order 2 or 3 more cards but my son has all my stuff with him so I don't have anything to test with. My suspicion is that there will be no difference in III's and IV's, but just wanted to check.

The D2Xs is the same with both cards, the D3 takes advantage of the faster IV (though not nearly 2x faster as the Sandisk specs indicate).

Thanks,

jsfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 4:06 PM   #5
Administrator

The D300 is supposed to take advantage of the newer UDMA cards.

I've got a Sony DSLR-A700 with UDMA support, and some users are reporting camera write times of almost 37MB/Second with some of the newer 300x Cards like the Lexar 300x UDMA. That's about twice as fast as users have been getting with an Extreme III in this camera.

I'm using a Transcend 133x 16GB Card in my Sony a700, and I'm getting camera wites times of around 15MB/Second using it (which is about what users are testing with an Extreme III).

Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash Card for $114.95 at newegg.com

Most cards that are UDMA capable are rated as 266x or 300x cards, and the Transcend I got is a 133x card. However, according to Transcend's press release, the 133x 16GB card I got is dual mode (supports both dual-channel transfer and UDMA mode 4):

Quote:
To ensure ultimate compatibility and speed, it operates in both dual-channel transfer and the Ultra DMA mode 4 standard. Transcend's 133X CF cards achieve extraordinary average read/write speeds of up to 45MB/21.5MB per second

http://www.transcendusa.com/Press/in...&PrsNo=787

But, unfortunately, it's only as fast as an Extreme III in my a700, which is really fast enough for what I'd shoot anyway, though.

Extreme IV results in this camera have been mixed (anywhere from 15 to 27MB/Second, varying a lot between cards). The Lexar 300x UDMA seems to be the fastest card in it so far (almost 37MB/Second).

I don't know how the D300 will compare. It will probably be faster with UDMA capable cards. But, I don't know how much difference you'd see with one.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:46 AM   #6

I've not done any testing other than my seat of the pants stuffI use both but will now be using exclusively the IVs in my D3 and D300s. They make a noticable difference. In Fine JPG the buffer never fills and you get one or 2 more shots in RAW. The biggest advantage is though if, like me, you shoot 3-5, and a second or 2 later another 3-5 the buffer clear speed is easilytwice as fast. This is a good resource http://www.sportsphotoguy.com/gear/cards.htmlin his tests the write speed was 3 times as fast as an ultra II.
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:00 AM   #7

Here's a memory card shootout article comparing both the SandiskE3/E4 cards, Lexar UDMA and a ATP brand card on the D300, Canon 40D, Oplympus E3, Sony a100/a700. With the D300 the E4 did noticeably better than the E3. See here...

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/b...ory-cards.aspx

This should help.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
With the D300 the E3 did noticeably better than the E4. See here...

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/b...ory-cards.aspx
Cool. I knew I had seen one of those types of tests somewhere recently. It's amazing how fast the new Sony DSLR-A700 and Olympus E-3 are writing to memory cards now.

But, I think you got the cards backwards (you said "the E3 did noticeably better than the E4"), assuming you mean the Extreme III and Extreme IV.

Their tests in the D300 show the Extreme IV as being much faster than the Extreme III in the D300.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Cool. I knew I had seen one of those types of tests somewhere recently. It's amazing how fast the new Sony DSLR-A700 and Olympus E-3 are writing to memory cards now.
You got to watch this Sony - It keeps setting record... here and there...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 5:00 AM   #10

Did an off the cuff test this morning with the D2X and Sandisk Extreme 3 8MB card. 18 shots (aperture f2.8 and speed 1/500th)on the run in 9 secs before it hit the buffer. Hope that helps. I find that enough for motor racing usually and the slight delay while the buffer clears has (well, not yet anyway!) been important.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote