Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2007, 7:55 PM   #1
NHL

Finally some clear sky @ last!

-> The D300 in 3D tracking mode against the busy background (branches are both in front and back):

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:34 AM   #2
Administrator

How do you know the color feature had anything to do with it? The background isn't exactly moving. ;-)

The bird appears to be coming towards you so you're probably not panning in this one either.

I can see how the AF would look for movement at close to the same focus distance it locked on to begin with, perhaps ussing additional samples to try and determine direction and speed so that it has a better idea of of where to look during the next sample.

How do you like the Autofocus so far compared to your Canon cameras?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 11:19 AM   #3
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
How do you know the color feature had anything to do with it? The background isn't exactly moving. ;-)
Exactly! The bird was banking left (from a clear sky - check the tail vs wings) to behind the trees as it came toward me, so it's not really straight on as this one-shot (i.e. non-burst way that I like to shoot my camera with) indicates

-> Anyone with a D300 can easily test the color tracking mode indoor: The way I did this during the previous rainy days was to put three different color picture frames on the wall, and suppose I pick the red frame, I can pan left, right, up or down with the camera but one of the 51 AF points will stick with the red frame as the viewfinder moved around. You can then pick a blue frame and then again pan and the camera will ignore the red, and stayed on the blue instead...
You can do this outdoor too, pick a UPS delivery truck for example as you hold the camera still the AF point will follow the truck as it moves across the viewfinder - Kind of cool... :-)

Quote:
How do you like the Autofocus so far compared to your Canon cameras?
AF speed wise, It's hard to say since I'm still exploring the D300, but the set-up is also very different - I'm shooting with a Bigma now whereas my MrkII is usually mated to the EF-500 or the 120-300... So really there's no direct comparison.

The biggest difference so far is in the size of each AF point. Each D300 AF point is approximately twice as big as the 1DMrkII (it's like putting two MrkII AF points up next to each other to equal the size of one D300's AF sensor), more like on my 10D. Each AF point on the D300, like on the MrkII, can be also be expanded to 9 or 21 if the subject leave the selected focusing point, but I've found this is really too big for small birds - May be for larger subjects they'll work better

The D300 is also very flexible, much more so than the MrkII is programmability - Some of the Personalization on the MrkII needs to be done at the computer whereas I can set up everything on the D300 with the Menu alone and assigning them their own names like: Birding, Sport, and Landscape - Instead of registering the C-Fn-xx custom functions like on the 1D and cryptically personalize it.
There a few other quirks however: the exposure compensation scale is backward (like the lens mount) on the D300
-> The +/- exposure scale are reversed in the viewfinder, but you can switch them around through the menu, but then the dial wheel is backward... you can switch the direction of the dials too, but then when you increase the aperture or shutter you are actually going in the opposite direction

BTW - Are my recent pictures too dark?
I got this new 30" flat panel which is really bright... even after calibration - How does the picture looks on other people monitors?
-> Should have stuck to CRT instead... :?
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:50 PM   #4

great shots NHL..

I wouldnt take NHLs word on a camera tracking. He would have got this shot even with a Rebel XT or for that matter Canon d30(not 30) or even a olympus 410.:blah:

@NHL...

it looks perfect on my monitor. the first picture i initially thought was dark, but darn it was the background. Ur LCD looks Calibrated for sure..did u use a third party software to do the saem??
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:22 PM   #5
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
great shots NHL..

I wouldnt take NHLs word on a camera tracking. He would have got this shot even with a Rebel XT or for that matter Canon d30(not 30) or even a olympus 410.:blah:
Thank - I know you would say that!!! :lol: :-):G

Here's the previous frame and you can tell that the guy is coming from left to right and downward among the foreground and background branches:

Quote:
Ur LCD looks Calibrated for sure..did u use a third party software to do the saem??
I have the ColorVision Spyder
-> However the brightness and contrast is set by eyeball... :?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 8:32 AM   #6
Administrator

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Anyone with a D300 can easily test the color tracking mode indoor: The way I did this during the previous rainy days was to put three different color picture frames on the wall, and suppose I pick the red frame, I can pan left, right, up or down with the camera but one of the 51 AF points will stick with the red frame as the viewfinder moved around. You can then pick a blue frame and then again pan and the camera will ignore the red, and stayed on the blue instead...
You can do this outdoor too, pick a UPS delivery truck for example as you hold the camera still the AF point will follow the truck as it moves across the viewfinder - Kind of cool... :-)
Now that we have point and shoot models with both face recognition and smile recognition, I can't help but wonder how advanced these systems will become over time.

I can imagine that cameras will have the intelligence to recognize the specific subject you locked focus on via more sophisticated techniques later (memorizing unique characteristics like jersey numbers, facial structures, clothing, etc.). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7

Jim u forgot "High precision thermal detector AF sensors" in cameras at 1200$ street price
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:43 PM   #8
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I can imagine that cameras will have the intelligence to recognize the specific subject you locked focus on via more sophisticated techniques later (memorizing unique characteristics like jersey numbers, facial structures, clothing, etc.). lol
Isn't that what the D300 already tried to do? "But we verified Nikon's claim that the D300's Auto-Area AF mode, with its Scene Recognition System (SRS), can track an object by color and shape. It gives higher priority to off-center skin areas (such as a face, exposed shoulder, or arm) rather than centrally located background elements. So instead of manually locking onto a person in a scene and then recomposing, you can let the AF do it all in one move. We like the way this camera thinks!"
-> Click on the photo in the link below to see: http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4911...cus-page2.html

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Jim u forgot "High precision thermal detector AF sensors" in cameras at 1200$ street price
They are already here...
-> All you need to do is have some outfit remove the InfraRed filters in front of the sensors (and there go your anti-dust mechanism!)

BTW the low-light AF capability of the D300 is pretty amazing: It can nail the AF at night with a 500 f/6.3 where my other camera struggle @ best with a 500 f/4 !
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:23 PM   #9

@NHL

Time to get the Nikon 500mm i guess...and do let us know when u post the FS in some forum on ur canon equipments

hehehe
Old Dec 18, 2007, 4:55 PM   #10
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Time to get the Nikon 500mm i guess...and do let us know when u post the FS in some forum on ur canon equipments
Not very likely...
I still have my 2 Hasselblad so I doubt any of my gear will be up FS!

I won't be getting a 500mm Nikkor as a result since my EF-500L is already quite adequate, and the D300/Bigma is just a complement (remember to replace the 100-400L dead weight that I always have to carry with the 500?) - The lens that I'm eyeing now is probably the 300-800 which is probably the most affordable in any mount... This lens will probabbly never leave the USA so that's a drawback.

BTW here's some E3 test, not too shabby either (... food for thought on longer lenses): http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4924...ympus-e-3.html