Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:10 AM   #1

Default Microdrive for D100? Basic Accessories?

First - thanks to all for the advice - I am convinced and sold on the D100!

Now - what else do I need to buy with the D100 to get the most out of the camera?

I already have lens's from my 6006, so do I need a Microdrive (is there a specific size which is best)? Extra/special battery(s)? Add-on Software (already have photoshop)? anything else I need for the basics?

Lastly, who has the best price (and reputation) for buying this stuff on line?

Thanks for your basic accessory advice......
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:02 AM   #2

well first of all i would probably get a lexar 1 Pro CF card instead.

reasons:
1- the camera to card xfr rate is faster then the current 1GB microdrive. better by ~20%+. 2000KB/s+ vs 1600KB/s
2- the durability/longevity is greater
3- the warranty is considerably longer. 1-3 years depending on the vendor for the MD(and that is dependent on the vendors longevity too). the original IBM warranty is 1 year. the lexar pro warranty is lifetime.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 10:43 AM   #3

Default lexar 1 Pro CF card

Is the lexar 1 Pro CF card a 1GB card?
How much can I expect to pay for this card?
Where is the best place to purchase this card?

Thanks
ER
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:06 AM   #4

yes it is a 1 GB 32x or 40x card. the 32x is the xfr rate the card is capable of 1x being 150KB/s

it seems at the moment most dealers are out of it as they transition to th 40x model. so watch out for the gougers hawking the older 16x model at high prices. patience is a virtue.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:17 AM   #5
NHL

I got mine here (free shiping): http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=141750
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:21 AM   #6

excellent deal there. there you have it.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:35 AM   #7

You'll find that some things vary in price depending on where you shop. Other things are almost the same everywhere. This ignores the scam stores which use really low prices to draw you in and then came they are out of the item when you order and try to upsell you.

I usually refer people to www.bhphoto.com. I use them as the gold standard for prices (And their service is reported to be quite good.) Things like CF cards and tripods seem to have similar prices all over, but lenses and some camera bodies differ depending on where you look.

Eric

ps. Note, this is from my experience. I value quality service, so maybe I'm ignoring stores which have lower prices but also lower service.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:38 AM   #8

I paid about 34 bucks more about a month ago (not shipping, I picked it up.) Nice price.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:46 AM   #9

i'll agree with you to an extent. i have done business with them since 1977 when they were a storefront in lower manhatten on warren st. these days the do have competition and from some reliable sources. on big ticket items i'll stay with them generally. i did not get my 1Ds and my 24-70 f2.8 L from them though they were $400+ higher at the time then another authorized dealer in NH. you have to watch the smaller items they love impulse buyers. oh! i need that too! i have a wishlist with them about a foot long and always reference their price first before reaching out to other locations.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:17 PM   #10

Default Silly question on the CF

Ok - showing my ignorance in the Digital world here....

With the D100 and the Lexar CF, how do I get the images from the camera/CF to the computer for printing?
Do i need a special reader, or can I dump images directly from the camera (usb) to the desktop?

Also, after I have extracted what I want from the Lexar media, how do I reuse it? Just write over it? Do I have to purge earlier photos first?

Thanks again.....
ER