Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2008, 12:33 AM   #1

I am really liking what I am reading about the D40x(Nikon). The pictures I have seen online are really awesome. Somewhat better than my D50. I have researched alot about this. You guys are smarter than me, but it does seem that the D40x takes some awesome shots. I read somewhere that there is some internal mechanism that the D40x has that the D50 doesn't, which allows for better color, picture quality? My question is: Is the D40x that much better than the D40?

Thanks so much for replies. Happy New Year!
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:49 AM   #2

I only have the D40 and have no comparison with the D40x or D50. With regard to picture quality straight out of the camera, the D40 is probably better than your D50 mainly because it is a newer camera with more recently developed JPEG processing - another example is the new D300 compared to the previous D200.

If I was buying now, I would possibly get the D40x. The extra cropping power with 10 MP for the relatively small price difference might be worth it. Otherwise, I'm delightedwith the D40, lenses and accessories. As a newcomer to the DSLR work it has been ideal, and the arguments about restrictions of lens were not relevant to my use, but you need to check that your existing lenses, or new ones tht you are considering, will auto focus with a D40 or D40x. Another possible factor to consider is that some of these forum threads indicate that that the D40/D40x exposure systems behave differently to your D50, and more manual compensation is required in high contrast situations.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:26 PM   #3

If you have a look at this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htmyou will find an in depth opinion of the D50 as against the D40 and also comments on the D40x D80and D200.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:32 PM   #4

John-

In all honesty, you are just like a good many of us folks who have been "sucked in terribly" by Ken Rockwell. He just is a good bit off base on this one, John. The Nikon D-40X clearly excels over the Nikon D-50 in every way.

If you so desire, I own both the Nikon D-50 and the Nikon D-40X, so we can go simply from one photo sample to another. I will let you go first, you can post your Nikon D-50 photo. Then I will post a Nikon D-40X photo. Does that sound agreeable, John??

OK, you are first. May we have a very valid, and very outstandingNikon D-50 photo from you to begin with, John? Thanks!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:03 AM   #5

Sarah,

a bit of confusion here. I dont own a D50 ,I was just pointing Mcdaniel to where I had recently seen a comparison between various Nikons including the D40x and D50 as he was asking about the differences.

Best wishes

John
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:45 AM   #6

Thanks, John-
I apologize for the confusion I created. I was on the telephone and reading on the Forum at the same time and mixed up what was happening. I do think that the D-40 is the better camera. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:46 AM   #7

Sensor and image wise i agree that the d40x is the better camera.
But, that's where it ends. The d50 is more comfortable (imo) and has a focus motor which makes it usable with non af-s lenses as well. It has more buttons on the camera, a top settings screen, a higher pop-up flash, etc.
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote