Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:30 AM   #1

I'm a bit confused about what kinds of flash will work in the D40's shoe... My grandfather has some fairly old 35mm SLR. I know his flash worked just fine in my Panasonic Lumix FZ-20. When I tried it in the Nikon, it still tried to open the internal flash and use only it. I know there are different points on the shoe and I guess the right ones didn't match up...

I guess I need this TTL type flash I head about. Should I assume any flash I find that'd work on my Nikon wouldn't also work on my Panasonic?
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:35 PM   #2

You will get the best results with the Nikon SB-800, SB-600 or SB-400 Speedlights. They will be better intrgrated with your D40. Bigger the model number the more light it pumps out which translates into more range.

They will all permit bouncing the flash off a convenient ceiling to provide much better lighting than direct (deer in the headlights) flash.

The SB-800 can be a commander to other compatible flash units to allow complex wireless lighting set ups.

Sigma also makes TTL compatible flash units for Nikon cameras.

The bad news is most other brands will have to be used in manual mode as you won't be able to use the TTL system in the camera. Still bad news the Nikon flashes may usable in manual mode on other cameras but I have no first hand experience.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:40 PM   #3

The_Other_One wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit confused about what kinds of flash will work in the D40's shoe... My grandfather has some fairly old 35mm SLR. I know his flash worked just fine in my Panasonic Lumix FZ-20. When I tried it in the Nikon, it still tried to open the internal flash and use only it. I know there are different points on the shoe and I guess the right ones didn't match up...

I guess I need this TTL type flash I head about. Should I assume any flash I find that'd work on my Nikon wouldn't also work on my Panasonic?
You have to set the camera in manual exposure mode to use a non-ttl flash. I use my old sunpak flash with my D-50 this way and it works just fine. The flash has always given me good exposures so I don't fret over the lack of ttl. Though I have found I have to stop the lens down one stop more than I do with a film camera. Another thing you should be concerned with is trigger voltage. Some of the older flash units have a high trigger voltage that can damage newer cameras. You camera manual should tell you the tolerance. You then need to find out what the trigger voltage of the flash is..

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote