Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2008, 3:17 AM   #11

http://www.camera-catalog.com/compar...s_1d_mark_ii_n

Finally companies like Leica and Canon switched to SD-card. I shall not have to wait too long for Nikon D300 xor D700x with SD-cards. Nikon always slow to catch up with new technologies. AF-s and VR were the examples. I think I shall not have to wait long for D300x or D700x with SD cards. I have had no real problem with CF card in my D200 but I should not have to change camp to have state of the art memory cards. Wake up Nikon!
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:29 AM   #12
Administrator

CompactFlash can be *much* faster in cameras that support the new UDMA cards.

See the performance tests on this page for the Sony A700 for one example of how CF cards can be much faster than any Secure Digital card would test at (around 40MB/Second in this camera).

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/b...ory-cards.aspx

You'll also need a Firewire UDMA card reader if you want max throughput using one with a reader, too. Secure Digital cards are nowhere near as fast.

I'm thinking about getting one of these new Transcend 300x SLC CompactFlash cards for use in my Sony A700. It clocks at around 35MB/Second write speeds and 45MB/Second read speeds in a Lexar Firewire 800 UDMA Card reader, outperforming Lexar's 300x UDMA card in the same reader. See the second part of the first set of results showing the Lexar and Transcend 300x cards in more than one UDMA capable Firewire reader:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/WSW...m#flashreaders

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 12:48 PM   #13

I still don't think a camera purchase should be based on memory, especially if your deciding between SD and CF. Large capacity, fast cards are available for both formats at similar prices. When you upgrade bodies, especially if your moving up to pro level, you'll likely need to get a larger capacity card anyway to accomodate larger file sizes. When I moved up to the D300, I wouldn't have been able to (actually wouldn't have wanted to) use my 2gb SD, because they were too small. I had to buy new memory anyway, it didn't matter what kind...I just needed it. Features, benefits, and image quality is what's important....what kind of memory it takes is much further down the list. Besides, memory is a small part of the total cost of a pro level camera like the D300.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:45 PM   #14

We live in rain forest where many wildl birds and animals visit our forest every day. I enjoy taking their pictures when ever strange living wildlives come visit us. Yesterday a wild monky came and enjoy coconut in our 'jungle'. grabed my D50 with 18-200 which always laying ready all the time. Took a few pictures, the monky did not showed any disturb so I switched to my D200 + 80-400 and take a doze of pictures into 4GB CF card of the D200.

Transferng pictures from D50sd card to laptop was quick and eaasy because my HP entertainment pc has slot for all kinds of memory cards except CF. To take a dozen pictures from 4GB CF card of my D200 I first had to find the addapter from some where in those shoes bxes.

I am looking for a camera to replace my D200 if it konk out some days. D300 is not what I want, if possible I shall pick one with sd card. For my type of photography sd is better than cf. That extra speeds do not mean much for me. I use sd card with Sanyo EXACTI and am very happy with it, much more than withmy expensive 3 ccd camcorder with priority Sony memorystick.
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:01 PM   #15

I upgraded to a D300 from a D80 that I still have. I actually like the CF because its larger, I wished the D80 had it like my D70 before it. I'm still working on getting results from the camera as I learn more about it. I love the faster frame rate and the LCD is amazing. It also meters on my t-mount so thats a bonus. The live view was also a big reason I spent the cash on the D300. Memory card format never entered my mind. I guess I'm lucky it has what I like. Now let me thin about that D700.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:12 AM   #16

If I had a D80 I also shall upgrade to D300. I now have a D200 and very happy with it. There are very little differences between D200 and D300, most of them are sales gimmicks. I do not change camerabecause Nikon bring out a newer model. I buy camera to make photographs. I shall never pphotograph for money, I shall never be a pro so I choose camera that will do what I want it to do

One day I shall have to get a new camera as my D200 will not last forever. I look at new Nikon that come to the market so when I need one I shall know what I should get. D300 is ok with me, as I do not need one right now so I am waiting to see Nikon getting smart and catchup with Canon and put SD cards in their top level cameras. I know it will happen and my D200 will last several more years, then I shall buy the new D300x or D400 or what everNikon will name them.

The reason all cameras later or sooner will switch to SD cards is the same as why Ford does not use sparkplug they used inFordModel T. Modern sparkplugs are more efficient, smaller, and cost less and use by every car manufacturers.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:13 PM   #17
waj

When the time comes to upgrade from my present D200 irrespective of camera make I will be considering far more important issues than the type of memory the camera uses.

waj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 5:17 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Please can you cut down the size of your photo to around 700 pixel for the longest side?

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:30 PM   #19

I do not buy a new camera every time Nikon launch new model. I keep mine for years. (I still keep my Leica lllf) I do not want to end up with a camera which Ishall not be able to buy memory cards that no body make them any more. I am not alone, there are many people out there waiting for Nikon to wakeup.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_ id=17752
Old Jul 25, 2008, 7:37 AM   #20
waj

I did purchase the D200 the day it was launched but that was an exception as I was in need of a second camera to work alongside my D100, for my next camera I shall wait untill the D700 or whatever next is on sale and has been put to full use by photographers who post on sites like these and are good enugh to pass on their experience.
My primary photographic concern is the final image quality, if there was a difference in quality because of the use of different format memory cards then that would influence my decision. With Nikon etc still introducing new cameras taking CF cards I feel your perceived problem of the unavailability of CF cards in the future is making a ' mountain out of a molehill ' ( an old UK saying ) there are too many CF equipped cameras in use for the card manufacturers to cease making CF cards, i.e there is still a lot of money to be made from card sales.
Is film still available for your Leica despite the present wide uptake of digital imaging ?
waj is offline   Reply With Quote