Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Nikon dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr-57/)
-   -   Nikon D200 vs D300 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/nikon-dslr/134779-nikon-d200-vs-d300.html)

gubak Jan 3, 2008 1:44 AM

Sold off my D200 about 2 weeks before receiving this unit. While the D200 was an excellent camera, I wasn't pleased with its poor battery performance (I only got about 400 shots per charge at best and always needed to carry spare/battery grip).

Furthermore, D200 high-iso though not bad compared to small sensor 4/3 cameras like Olympus/Panasonic/Leica Digilux, left something to be desired by ISO 800 and above.

This has all changed with the D300. Battery performance is now amazing at ~1000 shots/regular battery. Image quality has easily caught up to the Canon CMOS sensors of equivalent size. I rarely hesitate to shoot ISO 1600 now. The LCD display is truly AMAZING. I got a chance to play with my brother-in-law's D80 last night and forgot just how much of an upgrade it was!

I've enjoyed the AF system - very accurate sometimes at the expense of speed compared to the D200 especially in low light (very fair tradeoff IMO - rather have a few sharp pix than bunch of mediocre focused ones). The 51-point/color sensor data CAM3500 is a joy to use. I suspect folks who complain about it either have a defective unit or didn't take the time to figure out how it works!

One thing about the metering - auto-metering exposes more to the right than the D200. This leads to more useful out-of-the-camera shots especially with the much better JPEG engine. Watch for overexposure as a result however.

Anti-dust system seems to work decent for me.

This will probably be my last DX sensor format camera unless something revolutionary in image quality comes out :-).

Wish list:
1. I still would love to have camera body antishake - so long as this doesn't affect image quality in any way.
2. Articulated LCD screen would be nice.
3. FX (full frame sensor) of course - but not realistic at this price point at this point in time.

nojustice Jan 11, 2008 2:02 AM

Nicely put, I have the D200 with a variety of lenses, and thought about an upgrade - maybe next Christmas. It's good to hear the persoective of a person in the same situation.

I shoot stock images, so I rarely venture above ISO 200. Good to know that things have improved.

thanks! ~ joe

ruchai Jan 20, 2008 8:28 AM

I shall not 'upgrade' to D300. I have no problem with my D200 after takken more than 10,000 excelent photographs with it.My only complaint about D200 is the compact flash card. It will not fit my computers without adaptor. I shall wait until Nikon use SD card in the new model, 'D400' or 'D500'? Or switch to other brand that will use sd cards.

Zorki1c Jan 30, 2008 12:30 PM

It's my understanding that Nikon continues to use the CF card in the top models because the CF card is more reliable than other types memory. In fact, some time ago I read a report where various types of memory cards were tested and CF was the most reliable.

If I had a D200 I probably wouldn't upgrade now. But I have a D100 and felt if I was going to a newer model it made sense to spend a couple of hundred more and get the high res view screen, three times the battery life and lower noise at high ISO. More megapixels weren't a factor in my decision.

rjseeney Jan 30, 2008 1:01 PM

Quote:

It's my understanding that Nikon continues to use the CF card in the top models because the CF card is more reliable than other types memory. In fact, some time ago I read a report where various types of memory cards were tested and CF was the most reliable
I don't think its so much reliability...people have had problems for years of bent pins with CF cards that make the camera inoperable. I think the biggest issue has been size. Until recently, CF cards were the largest cards available in terms of capacity. Although they still are, SD cards are getting larger and larger, and I suspect the next generation of pro level cameras will offer some SD compatibility, either by using a dual card format (1 cf, and 1 sd) or completely going SD.

ruchai Feb 7, 2008 6:14 AM

I use Sanyo Xacti video camera with sd cards and had not encounter any problem. I think Nikon made a big mistake by still using cf cards in their latest model dslr.

J do not have any Nikon share so it is no problem with me. My next camera, video or still, will not have cf card slot. I already have too many Nikons to use with my present Nikkor lenses. I shall not buy new Nikkor lens until Nikon start using sd cards in theirhigh end cameras.

My firt Nikon was the FM bought in the 80. I end up with a dozen Nikons slrs. If Nikon could not understand why they should swith to sd cards by now I afraid their engineers are not up to their competitors.Samsung, Sanyo, and other new comers may listen to people like me. Then I shall start buying dslrs and lenses again, not until then.

rjseeney Feb 7, 2008 7:14 AM

I don't know that CF cards are a mistake in the pro level cameras. The pro level cameras like the D300 and D3 aren't aimed at the casual shooter upgrading from p&S. they are aimed at working pro's who have been using and probably have acquired a large amount of CF cards. Completely switching, would require these pro's to buy all new memory, and carry different types of memory as their older equipment would still likely be used in conjunction with the new or as a backup. CF's also still have the largest capacity to handle the volume that pro's shoot. I agree that the change will be inevitable, and eventually SD cards will be the norm.

ruchai Feb 23, 2008 7:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Instead of D300, I upgraded from my D200 to Sanyo Exacti CG65 hybrid!

Now I never miss a shot as the Exacti is always in my pocket. Most missed shots used tobe because I left my Nikons and Nikkors at home. With Exacti I can always buy additional SD cards at any corner in the world.

Valleyjim Mar 12, 2008 5:26 PM

I would hate to see Nikon go SD cards on all cameras, the larger dslr's have plenty of size and volume inside to accomodate the larger cards.

Most important of all is the fact I have a dozen or so of the larger cards and as they keep getting larger and cheaper I keep upgrading.

xor42 Jul 20, 2008 8:32 PM

Valleyjim wrote:
Quote:

I would hate to see Nikon go SD cards on all cameras, the larger dslr's have plenty of size and volume inside to accomodate the larger cards.

Most important of all is the fact I have a dozen or so of the larger cards and as they keep getting larger and cheaper I keep upgrading.
I wholeheartedly agree. SD cards are problematic, have poor reliability in professional use, and are not built for continued insertion/extraction. It is clear why Nikon chose to remain with CF cards. They are sturdy, have contacts that are fully enclosed and work extremely reliably. SD card contacts are small, naked, and exposed, and do not always make proper contact in heavy usage scenarios.

I have used many SD cards and almost all of them have died or behaved erratically eventually. My CF cards have continued to work without problems for years of continued used without a single problem.

A professional cannot afford to lose a day's shooting which can represent many 1,000's of dollars of work - not to mention that you don't get a second chance. If Nikon's new and utterly spectacular D300 had an SD card, I might not have purchased it since that would have signaled a reduction in the quality and a less professional level of construction. Long live CF format.

But, let me also say that I would consider a different storage format if it was better, more robust, more reliable, large capacity, and fast. SD cards have few if any of those attributes. They are just not ready for serious work wherein heavy usage is involved with a high frequency of insertion/extraction cycles.

It is hard to understand how someone would not buy a D300 because it has such a good storage medium or because their computer doesn't have a CF card slot. My HP printer has a CF slot. My Dell LCD display has a CF slot. My HP computer has a CF slot. My Dell computer has a CF slot. My HP LCD monitor has a CF slot. The only computers that don't seem to have CF slots are some laptops for unknown reasons. In my case, I have 4 CF slots that are live all the time. I also have a few cheap adapters which have CF slots.

I'll grant that there are few more devices with SD slots but it is really a non-issue unless you are living on the road, only have a laptop, and refuse to carry a small, light, super cheap, USB multi-format reader.

A D300 owner who is very thankful it use CF cards.