Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:49 AM   #11

Dear Matt, thank you for your valuable suggestion!Actually D50 isone of the 'cult' cameras whichserved some talents I know,such as yourself, astheir first DSLR, if I remember rightly! Besides the obviousadvantages you listed,plus thebuilt in focusingmotor which may help faster focus, I think ifone thinks of sticking with the kit lens ( for theback up camera)6mp camera would be a better choice...Ah, the reason I considered the D40x was that;it would be quite a bargain from a friend who's shifting back to Canon Btw,I should say Iliked theflash performance of the D40x with which Iwas able totake many closepictures withoutwashed out subjects!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:38 PM   #12

Hi
In the "shooting menu"/"white balance"/"auto"/(right button)-here you can make correction for AWB. Anyway pics looks fine.
Rgds
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:17 AM   #13

emes wrote:
Quote:
Hi
In the "shooting menu"/"white balance"/"auto"/(right button)-here you can make correction for AWB. Anyway pics looks fine.
Rgds
Thank you for your suggestion. However, I already tried the WB adjustment.Not a sophisticated graphic one though, shifting between red and blue. Dialing it (+) wise simply brought blue haze which had immediate adverse effect on green foliage for a start. So,stickingto '0' proved to bring best results. But don't get me wrong I've shot manylovely pictures with it so far : )IMO, it's just that they seem to determine the defaults of entry level camerasaccording to pleasing tones. Still, while converting fromRAW, pushing the yellow hue +5 @ CS3 seem to work fine

Attached Images

Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:40 PM   #14

Hi
I have played litllebit with color balance. But diferent scene works with diferent balance. Grass easy "cooperate" with yellow but some other color not, say blue, easy became green. I believe it is compromiss. BTW all reviews for all cameras usually say "some problem with AWB". I am new with D40x, but can we say, all pics need +5 yellow?
Rgds
emes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:46 PM   #15

Using the grass colour conversion from 'color pilot'

http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windo...lor-pilot.html

yeilded this result......I like the angel fish shot ........musket.

Attached Images

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2008, 2:57 PM   #16

emes wrote:
Quote:
Hi
I have played litllebit with color balance. But diferent scene works with diferent balance. Grass easy "cooperate" with yellow but some other color not, say blue, easy became green. I believe it is compromiss. BTW all reviews for all cameras usually say "some problem with AWB". I am new with D40x, but can we say, all pics need +5 yellow?
Rgds
I think I understand your concern, mate! Yea, all cameras may have WB problems,inincandescent lighting mostly...Anyway, as seen below, (+) values do not add more yellow into the picture, but adjust its tone from reddish to gold and then to greenish tones which seem to have solvedthe my 'consumeristsweet pinkish' issue at landscape and cityscape pictures especially : )

Attached Images

Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:06 PM   #17

Dear musket, I downloaded and installed the free trial of the Pilot

Iam amazedhow it is able to change the whole foliage colour ina picture with another from a reference picture without harming the rest of the picture:shock: Thank you once again!!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:11 PM   #18

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Dear musket, I downloaded and installed the free trial of the Pilot

Iam amazedhow it is able to change the whole foliage colour ina picture with another from a reference picture without harming the rest of the picture:shock: Thank you once again!!

Your welcome, the demo version only saves as small pictures

and there are 15 examples of it's use in the verson I have

Iused 'Fastone Capture'to capture the screen pictureto makethe larger photo :-)..........musket.

musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 1:50 PM   #19

musket wrote:
Quote:
Your welcome, the demo version only saves as small pictures

and there are 15 examples of it's use in the verson I have

Iused 'Fastone Capture'to capture the screen pictureto makethe larger photo :-)..........musket.
Actually these 15 automated examples are great for learning!

Btw, thePilot has some interesting features like acquring images through the web cam!! as you see below :-)Oh! here's another hint from you...Fastone Capture
Attached Images

Old Jan 18, 2008, 2:25 PM   #20

Meanwhile, speaking about the incandescent light above, here's an example shot handheld @1/2'' with the D40x white balance set to 'incandescent'. Not a nice shot obviously but works for comparison : )

I should say that the blank part between the frame and thebrownish 'worn looking' border of the map, in fact, looked perfectly white with the naked eye! Shouldyou turnthe page, you'll see what I mean ; )
Attached Images