Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:59 AM   #1

I wasconsidering tobuymy friend'sD40x as a back up to myK10D. I tried 'Normal' setting and also a few otheroptions under the Custom settings @ Optimize image in the Shooting Menu. However,the slight pink cast inalmost everypicture has really discouraged meAny setting suggestion forlandscape pics. please ??

The exif is embeded.
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:22 AM   #2

Looking at the long shadows and the exif information this is an early morning shot. The colour of sunlight changes through the day and this looks like a colour temperature issue. Most people would be happy to see the colour cast as it's the quality of light that people shoot at dawn and dusk to capture.

To get rid of the colour cast either shoot in RAW and correct in post processing or use a grey card and the preset white balance to set the camera for the prevailing light before shooting.

If you take a shot at mid day I'd expect the auto white balance or the daylight setting to produce a picture without the colour cast.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:12 AM   #3

Thanks for your kind interest, Ken

I could alsofind such a colour cast 'lovely' for the morning, but the point is, itpersistently has this pink bias, even when shotwith theboard onflash. I am confused to find myP&S(powereshot S70) better in this regard:? let alonemy other DSLR! Oh, I'd be happy if I could find a way to have this little gem operate properly : )

Here's a portrait shotfrom a close distancewith the flash.
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:21 AM   #4

I agree with Nagasaki....I really don't see a pink cast...if you look at your blues, the color seems pretty good. Sure it could use a levels and saturation boost, but I don't think there's a cast. Is your monitor calibrated??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:23 AM   #5

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your kind interest, Ken

I could alsofind such a colour cast 'lovely' for the morning, but the point is, itpersistently has this pink bias, even when shotwith theboard onflash. I am confused to find myP&S (powereshot S70) better in this regard:? let alonemy other DSLR! Oh, I'd be happy if I could find a way to have this little gem operate properly : )

Here's a portrait shotfrom a close distancewith the flash.
I don't see the cast in this image either..if anything, it looks a bit washed out, but could be corrected by adjusting the levels and saturation.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:10 PM   #6

I'm happy to meet this helpful community in some way : )

Thank you rjseeneyfor your insightful words! Actually, you're right..These pictures may look quite allright,but for the ones who haven't seen the actual scene or the subject! In the first picture the emerald tone of greenhaven't been conveyed as it was along withother green tones. Still, I should say I have been pleasedwithblue tones from this camera fo far.

As for the second picture whose subject was my dad,he has a dark ( brownish) tan rather than reddish as you can see below in the pictureshot with my other DSLR with flash, which is literally spot on straight from the camera!

Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:23 PM   #7

I do see the difference in the two portraits. I still don't think it's a pinkish cast and the difference could be in our monitors.

As to how to correct the color. I've never shot with the D40, but typically use RAW with my D80/D50. You could always shoot with a custom white balance, or use the shade WB setting which will warm up the colors a bit.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:26 AM   #8

I can see quite a difference in those two portraits. First thing I'd try is setting the WB to flash instead of auto. The problem may be in the way the Nikon WB works. I use a Nikon D80 and shoot RAW but I don't see thse kind of issue.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:57 PM   #9

Thank you againrjseeney and Ken

I'd probably go D300 like Matt (longside1) if Ididn't havethe K10D as my main camera (with which I invariably shoot RAW) !I'd hopedtheD40x could make alightweight back upnow at a bargain price, encouraged bySteve's conclusion also.Looks like I shall often have toadjustsettings to getbest fromthiscamera; )

Anyway, I'mhappy to see the custom WB with flash as you adviced, seems to have done justice to my angelfish : )

Attached Images

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:07 AM   #10

Hey Bahadir,

Looks like you may have sorted your problem with with the custom white balance. On a slightly different note, If you have not yet commited to purchasing the D40 may I suggest the D50 as an alternative.

You should be able to pick up the D50 fairly cheap now and what the camera doesn't pack in resolution, it certainly makes up for it in:

*build quality (not as much plastic);
*ease of use (don't have to enter menu system constantly for simple functions eg changing exposure etc when in manual);
*Greater number of functions including bracketing.

Just a thought!....
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote