Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:05 AM   #1

Sent my D2x in to have thesensor cleaned and thought it might be a good idea to have the rubber on the tripod socket side of the camera glued back in place where it's peeling back around the edges or just have it replaced. I just want the rubber back in place like when it was new. The estimate that I got from Nikon Service Center in El Segundo, California was $375. Isn't this kind pricey? Anybodyelse have similar work done byNikon?They told me that they charge around $75 to clean the sensor which seems to be fair, but $300 to replace the rubber is crazy.
islandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:31 AM   #2

Does seem high to me too. But if they make it like it was when it was new it would be worth it. I'm sure if I did it there would always be that glob of glue hanging out one side. I'm sure Nikon has very high standards and will make it perfect. And that does seem to be a difficult repair.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 1:47 PM   #3

That is completely insane pricing. There is no way that one piece of rubber on that camera could possibly cost that much money. I'd suggest finding the proper glue and spending a little time gluing it back in place yourself. I'm sure if you take your time you could get it just as good as Nikon ever could.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:01 PM   #4

quick5pnt0 wrote:
Quote:
That is completely insane pricing. There is no way that one piece of rubber on that camera could possibly cost that much money. I'd suggest finding the proper glue and spending a little time gluing it back in place yourself. I'm sure if you take your time you could get it just as good as Nikon ever could.
Be careful if you go this route. From what I understand, there are screws that are underneath this coating that are used to get into the camera for servicing issues. They use a special adhesive and coating to allow access to these screws. A do it yourself job caould cause more costly repairs if needed in the future. I agree it seems a bit high, but this is a pro level body, and the cost of repair is less than 10% of the original cost of the body. I'd be inclined to let Nikon go ahead and do it if I were planning to use this camera for another 2-3 years.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:28 PM   #5

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
quick5pnt0 wrote:
Quote:
Be careful if you go this route. From what I understand, there are screws that are underneath this coating that are used to get into the camera for servicing issues. They use a special adhesive and coating to allow access to these screws. A do it yourself job caould cause more costly repairs if needed in the future. I agree it seems a bit high, but this is a pro level body, and the cost of repair is less than 10% of the original cost of the body. I'd be inclined to let Nikon go ahead and do it if I were planning to use this camera for another 2-3 years.
You don't think 10% of the total camera cost is high? That price is ridiculous. We're not talking about them replacing the sensor or something as pricey and techinically hard to repair. We're talking about a piece of rubber. Imaging going to your local car dealer to have a piece of rubber door trim replaced and they tell you it's going to cost 10% of the car. :?

If you want to do this right goto your local hardware store and buy some spray on adhesive. Then use an adhesive remover to remove all of the old adhesive. Before spraying on the new adhesive I suggest you using masking tape to mask off anything you don't want to get it on. Then spray a light coating on the rubber, let it dry slightly and stick it on. Not only will it hold the rubber in place but it'll allow you to remove the rubber at a later date if need be.

BTW I believe you should be able to find a can of 3M spray adhesive at your nearest Home Depot or Lowes for less than $10. :-) Even your local arts supply store should have it in stock.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:09 PM   #6

I did say I think the price is a little high. However, not seeing the camera and the issues involved in the repair or the materials needed, it may not be totally unreasonable. Also, since I've never performed this repair, I doubt that I could do as good a job as Nikon. I've also seen comments about this repair in the past, and it hasn't always gone well for those who have attempted it, and created more problems that cost even more to fix by following the methods you recommend. To each his own, and if feel you can get it done yourself, more power to you. I was just providing a word of warning that this may not be as easy as it sounds.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:12 PM   #7

I got a similarly high quote from Nikon to replace the covering on the CF card door. Over $300. This is a used Nikon and the estimate is about 1/3 the value of the camera. I have read a number of other forums and it seems as though glueing the covering down is problematic. On the other hand, there are no screws under the cover that are a problem.
Pshaw-Photo is offline   Reply With Quote