Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:38 AM   #11

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
But there's a difference between "sleep mode" and an actual power off...
Yes there is - Power off by the switch completely remove the power from the camera

I also program the 'dust-off' feature to activate on power up so if you do use the power switch the sensor get a shake whenever you turn the power on this way albeit it takes a little longer than normal for the camera to be ready.

Wake up from the 'sleep' mode is instantaneous without shaking the sensor
-> This way I can clean my sensor quickly on command (using the power button) rather than going through the camera UI...

IMO the D300 battery compartment is not well design and lack a latch that can hold the battery in place tighly behind the door. In other cameras the battery is spring loaded so when you release this latch the battery pop out - The D300 relies on friction to hold the battery (which doesn't come out readily) and the battery door is the only thing holding the battery in place, and why shimming it with some thin material might increase the contact points by pushing the battery up against the terminals :O
So does that mean you'll be putting something in the battery compartment?? Hmmm?? Not sure I will if I get the D300. Will see how it goes. But so far we've only heard of one Steve's Forum member with the sudden off problem. And the rest happy campers. So who knows? Maybe the battery compartment wasn't manufactered to be a snug fit on his. Where as most are.

I wonder if any one using the portrait grip and an EN-EL4 or 4a battery has had any issues. Probably not as it is sitting horizontally and the battery carridge looks fairly snug. Could be wrong. So if there are any D300 owners with the grip and an EN-EL4/4a battery quirk please post.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:43 AM   #12
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
So does that mean you'll be putting something in the battery compartment?? Hmmm??
No - I don't have any problem with the D300(yet), that was just a comment... :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:30 AM   #13

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
So does that mean you'll be putting something in the battery compartment?? Hmmm??
No - I don't have any problem with the D300(yet), that was just a comment... :?
I realized that. Just wanted to know if you ran into that problem. Or if you had noticed any quirks with your D300.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:52 PM   #14
NHL

This is quite funny - Just went back and play with one of my old cameras for another forum post and can't help but notice this factory-installed "shimming" foam material on the back of the battery door:
-> Apparently this idea was tried before!!! :lol::-):G

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:38 PM   #15

Thanks for posting NHL. I wonder if all Canon's have shimming.Would this be considered shimming? This picture is for a 40D...