Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Has any D300 owner here been having sudden on/off problems when using either a 70-200 or 18-200?

I was reading some D300 threads on DPreview.com and came across two threads where other D300 owners ran into on/off problems. One offered a fix which was to put some DeOxit solution on the contacts. On the ball-bearing looking contacts where the lens meets the lens mount.

See here... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26374611

In fairness, I've been reading D300 threads from that forum for weeks and no other D300 owner has mentioned these problems. Are those isolated incidents?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:01 AM   #2
NHL

What's wrong with leaving the camera ON all the times?
I have never find any need to turn any of my camera off... (They go to lower power mode by themselves)

-> Plus the battery consumption on the D300 is so good why bother at all... :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
What's wrong with leaving the camera ON all the times?
I have never find any need to turn any of my camera off... (They go to lower power mode by themselves)

-> Plus the battery consumption on the D300 is so good why bother at all... :-)
Hello NHL,

Was hoping to hear from you.

I take it you haven't experienced the sudden posser off/on issue mentioned in the DPreview thread I posted?

As I said I have been reading D300 threads from that forum for weeks. And here at Steves. Only now have I noticed that complaint. So it seems most D300 owners are happy and haven't run into that issue.

Hoping to hear from other D300 owners too! So please chime in guys!!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:53 PM   #4

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Hoping to hear from other D300 owners too! So please chime in guys!!
I was hoping for a comment on my recent hawk images.

This forum has become an 'observers only' place, it seems.

I had on/off issues with my D300. Just t/off the cameraand on again and it works. I think the battery is not held in place with enough pressure. I may add a thin piece of cardboard on the bottom of my battery so the door would 'push' it in place more firmly. I am not suggesting you do this, I haven't yet. But I may if the issue arises again.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:47 PM   #5

I haven't really heard of any major issues with the D300. The last few camera releases from Nikon have been relatively problem free. Sure you will have the occasional defect, but for the most part I think Nikon's quality control has improved since the issues with the D70 and D200. Anyway, you'll always hear more from those who have problems than those who are completely satisfied. Those who are dissatisfied tend to be louder as well. I think you could feel pretty safe going forward the purchase of a D300 at this point.

Quote:
I was hoping for a comment on my recent hawk images. This forum has become an 'observers only' place, it seems.
I wouldn't call this an observers only forum. Traffic is a bit slow sometimes, but I think most of the people that frequent this forum are here to comment on and help/ask question regarding their "gear" . Very few post pictures on this forum in hopes of receiving comments/critiques. Pictures posted to recieve help or related to specific questions tend to get more responses. I'm not a huge wildlife fan, and it's not my area of expertise (that is assuming I have any areas of expertise) and I really don't have anything to add in regards of comments to your hawk images. Sorry.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:01 PM   #6

As I was thinking too. That these are isoloated instances. For the past 2 months (almost) since the D300 has been on the market I've been reading threads. On a few different forums. 95% of the owners have been happy. And this sudden shutdown issue I've only just come across now.

Still, i would like to hear from more D300 owners. See if this isn't something that's happening only with an unlucky few.

I'm still trying to decide. D300 vs A700 vs. 40D. Hmmmm....
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:13 PM   #7

I have had the D300 since November. I agree with NHL, I leave my D300 on all the time when I am out shooting. Which usually envolves being out in the field form 2-4 hrs sometimes longer. The D300 does automatically power down to a kind of sleep mode when there has been no recent activity. The battery management is terrific. I have gone several outings without recharging and never missed a shot. I usually take along my old D80 EN-EL3e battery as a back up but as yet I have never needed it. So, don't worry on/off problems are probably over-stated, if they exists at all.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:08 PM   #8

smac wrote:
Quote:
So, don't worry on/off problems are probably over-stated, if they exists at all.
Hello Smac,

Perhaps you missed my on/off comments in my above post.

They do exist and I do report truthfully.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:47 PM   #9

Thanks for your psot smac. But there's a difference between "sleep mode" and an actual power off. Any how as I said this is probably happening for a very small percentage of D300 owners.

The D300 is still on the top of my shortlist.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:03 AM   #10
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
But there's a difference between "sleep mode" and an actual power off...
Yes there is - Power off by the switch completely remove the power from the camera

I also program the 'dust-off' feature to activate on power up so if you do use the power switch the sensor get a shake whenever you turn the power on this way albeit it takes a little longer than normal for the camera to be ready.

Wake up from the 'sleep' mode is instantaneous without shaking the sensor
-> This way I can clean my sensor quickly on command (using the power button) rather than going through the camera UI...

IMO the D300 battery compartment is not well design and lack a latch that can hold the battery in place tighly behind the door. In other cameras the battery is spring loaded so when you release this latch the battery pop out - The D300 relies on friction to hold the battery (which doesn't come out readily) and the battery door is the only thing holding the battery in place, and why shimming it with some thin material might increase the contact points by pushing the battery up against the terminals :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote