Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2008, 11:23 AM   #11

I just hope it somehow has great bokeh... then it might be worth it to me. That's one area that on the 18-200 coudl clearly use some improvement!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:37 AM   #12

Good grief! Anyone know the street price of the D60?

I just bought, from B&H a D40 kit with two lenses for under $450. I couldn't believe the price. I checked back two hours later and the price was back up to $570. I don't know what happened but I got a great deal. Now the D60 comes along....:?

ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:47 AM   #13

I think you can expect between $700 and $800 with the 18-55 kit lens, more if you buy one of the higher end lenses.

$450 with 2 lenses was a great price. I wouldn't worry about the camera being outdated now that the D60 is coming out. There will always be a new camera coming out, and that doesn't mean the older cameras are no good or outdated.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:28 AM   #14

Whats interesting with the D60 is the dust reduction /eye sensor.

Nikon have put these on their entry level D S L R and simultainiously brought out the D3 which over here has a body only price of £3389 = $6700 but no dust deletion or eye sensor .So the assumption must be that the gizmos are aimed squarely at the novice /amateur.The professionals just want a good camera it seems. Thoughts please.........
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:09 PM   #15

Dust removal is one the most overhyped features out there in my opinion. Dust removal does not remove all dust and will not prevent you from needing to occasionally clean your sensor. I use a Rocket blower occassionally (about 10 seconds total time, once or twice a month) and when neccessary, use solution and a sensor swab to remove stubborn dust (which I've had to do maybe 4 times in the last 3 years with 2 DSLR's). Certainly dust removal doesn't hurt, but it also obviously doesn't ad too much to the price. I imagine higher end camera's will have it eventually, but high end camera's are about performance...dust removal doesn't add to performance.

The eye sensor is a nice, but again, not a feature I'd go out of my way to have.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:15 PM   #16

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Dust removal is one the most overhyped features out there in my opinion. Dust removal does not remove all dust and will not prevent you from needing to occasionally clean your sensor. I use a Rocket blower occassionally (about 10 seconds total time, once or twice a month) and when neccessary, use solution and a sensor swab to remove stubborn dust (which I've had to do maybe 4 times in the last 3 years with 2 DSLR's). Certainly dust removal doesn't hurt, but it also obviously doesn't ad too much to the price. I imagine higher end camera's will have it eventually, but high end camera's are about performance...dust removal doesn't add to performance.

The eye sensor is a nice, but again, not a feature I'd go out of my way to have.
An interesting feature was in one of our mags recently showing the effectiveness or not of dust removal systems .The Pentax K10. Canon 400D .Olympus E410.and the Sony Alpha 100.Each had an amount of dust put on their sensors then their dust reduction systems were activated . The dust particles where as follows Pentax 408 ,after 18 cleaning cycles 554 particles.Canon 588 after 18 cycles 636 Sony 482 after 18 cycles 693 .Olympus 435 after 18 cycles 261. So amazingly none of the systems actually got rid of the dust,in fact the dust particles actually increased ,(except the Olympus),I supposed by being shaken around .Bearing out what you have just said.I mean, if they dont get rid of the dust whatis the point? .I think they are just meeting a demand ,effectivness is something else.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 1:36 PM   #17

Nikon very rarely puts a feature in their Pro cameras until it's been proven worthy in their other models. I'm somewhat surprised they put live view in the D3 but I think they see that a key selling point for studio photographers
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:20 PM   #18

While we are on the subject ,can anyone recommend a good cleaning system,ie Artic Butterfly?.I have not had to use one yet.

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:31 PM   #19

It's not cheaper then the D40 actually alot more expensive.. might be because D60 comes with 18-55mm VR lens.. anyways this site has got it on sale, and also a video review of it.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/article...d=354&page=

it looks interesting, though i'm not sure it's worth the price hike from the D40...
princevanya is offline   Reply With Quote