Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:19 AM   #1

Can someone tell me the advantages of being connected to my computer to download pictures in either MTP/PTP or Mass Storage.I have Windows XP and photoshop Elements 4. The D40x gives me a choice of either for XP.

Thanks Deadshot :?
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:31 AM   #2

My understanding with my D300 is the 'mass storage' setting is for downloading images, it makes your camera just like any other drive.

The Mtp/Ptp setting is for using the camera tethered to your computer.

Check you manual.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:27 AM   #3

thanks for the reply.

My manual just says use either for windows xp but whenI was a child I would take a clock to bits to see how it worked .So my logic is that one will be more suitable than the other for loading my photos into Photoshop.Though perhaps it doesn't make the slightest difference.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:05 AM   #4

You should consider getting a card reader for your PC. Not only are they faster but you don't have the camera cable hookup mess nor do you have to worry about the camera battery going dead in the middle of the transfer.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:44 PM   #5

Set the camera for mass storage, turn off the camera, hook it up to the computer, turn it on and it will show up as a drive. Card reader is better but USB cable downloads are pretty quick, too. I used to have a D100 with USB 1.1 and you definately wanted a card reader for that camera.
Zorki1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:11 AM   #6

My D80 had the two choices. The D300 I just bought also has them. Mass storage is a convenient way to copy files (usually image fileslike jpg's) from your camera to a PC... For this you can use Windows Explorer or a file handler like Total Commander which will pick it up as a new drive once plugged in and turned on. Simply open the new drive, which will be assigned the next unused drive letter (in my case it is 'J' or 'K' as I have many partitions and device drives) and copy the files - easy... Using Mass Storage Device settings will let Windows see directly into your cameras memory card, which is merely another drive when viewed by Win XP or similar...

PTP - Usually PTP, or more accurately - PTPP -stands for "Point To Point" (Point To Point Protocol) which follows a different Windows protocol. If you use software Like Camera Control Pro, you MUST set your camera to PTP or it will not be picked up as a device. PTP wont let your camera be picked up as a drive,, as it has a more specific task in mind which involves controlling software and two way communincations between the camera itselfand yourPC... When using Camera Control Pro and other similar programs,, you are communicationg with the camera NOT the memory card...

Summary...

Mass Storage - Easy way to copy image files from your camera's memory cardto PC...

PTP - When comms to the actual camera itself is needed...

Also... What most people don't remember (or know) is that is is also different in the manner that you must connect and disconnect the device from your PC and Windows... But that's getting technical... Just stick to the summary above...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:46 PM   #7

I too always use a card reader. It's quicker, tidier and doesn't drain the camera battery.

A goodchoice is an SD USB card reader/pen drive. Take it with you and you can download the images to what ever computer you like )

My first ever digital camera (Sony DSC F1) had it's chip fried when Windows 98 crashed during image transfer. OK, it had no removeable memory card but the experience made me ensure I always use a card readersince.
Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 8:09 PM   #8

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
You should consider getting a card reader for your PC. Not only are they faster but you don't have the camera cable hookup mess nor do you have to worry about the camera battery going dead in the middle of the transfer.
I read somewhere that one of the most common causes of damage to digital cameras was them falling to the floor during image transfurs. The USB cords are never very long and people end up ballancing the camera on top for something.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote