Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:10 PM   #11

I use a Nikon 2X teleconverter. It only works on my 70-200 and my cheapie Opteka 500mm lens. It does not work on my 70-300 or any of my other lenses. it just does not fit on. There may be an adaptor. It has a very good glass and works well.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:43 AM   #12

carylwithay wrote:
Quote:
I use a Nikon 2X teleconverter. It only works on my 70-200 and my cheapie Opteka 500mm lens. It does not work on my 70-300 or any of my other lenses. it just does not fit on. There may be an adaptor. It has a very good glass and works well.
Caryl
Which actual 2x tele is it though as there are many available. Is it perhaps something like a TC-20E II...???
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:00 AM   #13

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Nikon doesn't recommend the use of converters with those two lenses (the 18-200/70-300). The elements can extend into the teleconverter if you're not careful, possibly causing damage. Also, the the teleconverter would put you past the point of AF for all but the shortest focal lengths, making the tele converter useless...you would only want to use it at the longest lengths. Teleconverters typically only work well with sharp, fast glass, usually only primes, although the 70-200 is such a great lens a tele would work well with it.
You are most likely right but I have got a different answer from just about everyone I have asked re: teleconverters and Nikon. The only universal thing is that we are all confused. It all seems to be either inside knowledge (just kidding) or trial and error but like you say the 'error' may well result in physical damage to the lens. If I knew for sure that a certain tele worked on a certain lens,, then I might consider one. Even our Nikon agent here gave me more or less the same answer as what you gave - "Do Not Recommend". I mean to say, they of all people should give me a Yes or No...

I think I would buy a 2x IF I knew for certain it worked, although the 18-200mmVR may not be the ideal lens to use one on, but then again who knows... Camera shops always look down their nose at you whenever you mention using these tele's but I'm willing and I've never been one to go by the rules all the time...
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:59 AM   #14

Do not recommend means what it sounds like. It can be done, but you probably shouldn't. Besides the obvious IQ issue (all shortcomings of the lens are magnified and made worse), with most of the DX lenses you are risking damage to the rear element. and as I mentioned before, the loss of light makes Af inoperable or extremely slow at best. Unless you are working with fast pro glass (constant f 2.8's or larger), or bright primes, it just doesn't make sense to use teleconverters. There are no shortcuts or easy ways around it.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 9:43 AM   #15

I called Nikon themselves and asked about a teleconverter. i got the one they recommened and use it all the time on my 70-200 because that is the one I was told to use on it. i use it all the time, get great shots and no damage. Here is one of the moon.
Caryl

Here is the number i call: 1-800-526-4566
Attached Images

carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:01 PM   #16

carylwithay wrote:
Quote:
I called Nikon themselves and asked about a teleconverter. i got the one they recommened and use it all the time on my 70-200 because that is the one I was told to use on it. i use it all the time, get great shots and no damage. Here is one of the moon.
Caryl

I would expect that lens to work well with a teleconverter, as it is generally regarded as one of the best (if not the best) lens Nikon has ever made. Optically it's incredible, and the constant f2.8 aperature fits the criteria I mentioned. The consumer grade, DX lenses the OP mentions (the 70-300 and 18-200) are not anywhere near the class of this lens, and since the rear element of these lenses can extend into the teleconverter, you risk damaging your lens by placing it on a teleconverter.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 2:33 PM   #17

carylwithay wrote:
Quote:
Caryl

begging your pardon - I thought you quoted the 18-200... Maybe I need glasses... Sorry about that..