Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:51 PM   #1

Although I haven't had need to actually use the flash yet, I can't seem to find any means to disable it. I did try to assign the f4 Function button with "stop flash" but I can't get it to actually acknowledge that it is stopped. The control panel show many different settingsby pressing the flash button and rotating the thumbwheel but none to disable it either.

I found with my D80 that disabling the flash gave me better results under some circumstances and I would like to have that same option with the 300. I have done some reading on the net about the flash but all I ever find is owners with the samequestion - "How do you switch it off??"... It seems as if it was built to work - period... I know it has inbuilt functions and has to be able to trigger but the option to disable should be there - or is it..??

While we're at it...

I have boththe SB200 and SB400 flashes. I know the SB400 will, but will the SB200 work on the D300.? This is one very Plain Jane flash but a very good Plain Jane flash. It is small but more than effective. I have used it many times on the D80 while leaving the SB400 at home, and it is one nifty little unit... I can't seem to find any reference to its use on a D300 though,, not even on the Nikon site. I suppose that by fitting it and trying may soon answer this question but just incase...

I've had the D300 for only 3 days now so forgive any apparent ignorance...

Anybody shed some light (no pun intended) on this subject..???
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:02 PM   #2

As far as disabling the flash, what mode are you shooting in. If you shoot in Aperature, shutter, or manual, the flash should be disabled unless you pop it up. Shooting in P or A, the flash pops up if needed.

The SB200 will work with the D300. This flash is designed for macro photography, therefore it will have a very short range, probably around that of the built in flash.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:14 PM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
As far as disabling the flash, what mode are you shooting in. If you shoot in Aperature, shutter, or manual, the flash should be disabled unless you pop it up. Shooting in P or A, the flash pops up if needed.

The SB200 will work with the D300. This flash is designed for macro photography, therefore it will have a very short range, probably around that of the built in flash.
Ahh - ok...

Just one slight query on your reply...

You say - "If you shoot in Aperature, shutter, or manual, the flash should be disabled"

then - "Shooting in P or A, the flash pops up if needed"

Isn't -A = Aperture Priority

Forgive me for seemingly nitpicking but you say first that - Aperture mode = disabled then A (which is Aperture - (I think)) the flash pops up if needed. I am not trying to argue - really,, but in the same sentence you say it is disabled then it pops up when needed,, unless I simply misread what you stated...

The way in which you choose your mode is quite different from my D80 - no rotating switch, but when I press the MODE button and rotate the Command Dial, I get P,S,M,A modes.

Cripes I must be getting lost...

I 'DO' appreciate your reply... Please continue..!!!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:00 PM   #4

Sorry...I mispoke. I was refering to a mode that isn't on the camera...I was thinking of camera's that offer a Program mode (allowing you to make adjustments to exposure) and a automatic (that doesn't allow exposure changes). Obviously, Nikon DSLR's only have P mode and A refers to aperature priority. I should have said the "green camera auto mode" Everything I stated is true, except for my incorrect reference to A mode as automatic, which the D300 does not have (an auto mode...it obviously has "A".
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:36 PM   #5

Cheers rjseeney,,

No the D300 doesn't have Auto mode. Oh well, such is life...

Thanks anyway..
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:22 PM   #6

I just got my D300 and i set the fn button to turn off the flash. My problem was trying to turn it ON! I called Nikon. They are very helpful. The number in the USA is 1-800-526-4566
Hope this solves your problem. They solved mine.
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:48 PM   #7

I still haven't found out if I actually managed to turn mine off yet but I assigned the fn button with this option. Just now after reading your reply, I aimed the camera into a dark corner and pressed the flash button on the left hand side of the view finder. Up popped the flash and it worked when I clicked off a shot. That should answer your question.. I then pushed the flash back down and clicked off another shot into the same corner and it didn't pop up so I assume something is working...

Hope this may help you...

I aim to use my SB200 as a walkabout flash unit and if I need a better unit, I will use the SB600... While these units are mounted on the camera, turning them off will certainly stop'em from working.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:12 PM   #8

I have a question for you..... I just got my D300 TODAY and I can't seem to make the flash come up if I need it. I have tried taking photos in the "P" mode in dark areas and the flash DOES NOT want to pop up. Can anyone explain that to me? Is there a setting that I need to change to make that happen?

It comes up if I press the button on the side but it won't automatically pop up. I know I am in dark setting that my D70 would have popped up the flash.

Thank you!
snroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:31 PM   #9
NHL

The built-in flash do not pop-up by itself on the D300!

-> You need to push the button below the flash on the left-front of the camera to pop it up manually... which is a good thing (i.e. there's no "Auto" mode on the D300)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:15 PM   #10

thank you. thats very helpful. i was thinking my camera was broken already!!?!

i guess this is a good thing though.... i used to have the hardest time with my D70 flash. This give me more manual control of the camera.

i wonder why they decided to do that?
snroberts is offline   Reply With Quote