Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:42 PM   #1

Rather than posting new threads, I will add to this thread for a while...

Tried the 24-120mm VR lens this morning and it performs quite well. Some images might be considered by some to be a tad soft (just a bit though) but it is otherwise quite sharp and crisp.

Also bought an MB-D10 this morning - OUCH..!!! That hurt. Very expensive, about one sixth of the cameras price - OUCH again... But, I love these grips. Strange way to use it though.It doesn't actually use 2 batterries at all. You keep the main battery in the hand grip of the camera -huh - then put another in the grip and screw it on. This is wierd. If you wish to charge the first battery, off comes the grip. You do get a choice of 3 different batteries you can use though. The booklet says that the main battery will only be used if/when the grip battery is flat and if you put a freshly charged battery back into the grip, it will start to use this straight away, leaving the main battery alone. I don't get this at all. I guess this will reduce the main battery use by quite a bit but it is a wierd way of doing things regardless. D80 and D200 both have 2 batteries side-by-side in their grip and the camera will switchbetween themas needed by state of charge or if you remove one for charging. Far better setup.
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:46 PM   #2

I've had the D300 for one week now and it's almost like I was using the D80, I feel right at home with it. Once you realize what you are using, it is a very easy camera to use indeed. Not only that but the picture quality is fantastic. I am slowly using all the lenses (wall at leastsome of them so far) that I bought for the D80 and it handles them with relative ease. Not much bad to say about it except the MB-D10 battery grip,, I still haven't managed to figure out just why a). it cost so much compared to other D models - twice the price of the D80 grip, b). just why they decided to have the one battery on the camera grip and the other battery grip - crazy..!!! But, while on the subject of batteries. When I bought the battery grip for the D80, I bought a couple of third party EN-EL3E's of slightly higher capacity, now for some unkown reason after a whileone of these batteries decided not tocharge up properly. After about a week of trying to get it charged up, I gave up and bought another genuine Nikon EN-EL3E and used the two of them in the grip - problem solved. I put the two other batteries outin the shed and forgot about them - 'tried and failed'... I had triedeverything to get them working, including shorting the terminals, draining them right down, other chargers - nothing appeared to work. I didn't know whether it was the battery composition or the charging circuitry at fault..Now, when I bought D300 and was charging up the EN-EL3E for it, I saw the two accessory batteries in the shed while looking for things to photograph and decided (I don't know why) try one more time to charge them. They both charged right up to 100 %, taking forever,whereas previously one of them would always stop charging after only about five minutes, only ever get up to 90% if I was lucky. Well, they both appear to be working well again but if they start playing up again, it's back out into the shed for good...

The menus on the D300 seem to go on forever compared the the D80. Manyreviewers claimed thay the D80 is too "menu controlled", which is true but the D300 menus are far moreextensive than the 80. Iguess the 80 is set more to an auto state whereas the 300 is all hands on...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote