Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:55 PM   #1

[align=left]I'm a proud owner of a Nikon D80 , my first dSLR ever. I've been reading the manual for a week now , over and over again , but I still cannot understand something.

What is the exact purpose of the AE-L/AF-L button? I'm confused by all those options and although I've tested them all and they do work , I could do the exact same thing without actually using the AE-L/AF-L button. Do you really use this button quite often? If so , when? A couple of examples for such specific situations would help me get a clue. Obviously I'm missing something here.

I will mention again that this is my first SLR , so maybe my question seems silly.
Also , please excuse my English. It is not my first language.

Thank you!
[/align]
Silviu70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:08 AM   #2

The AE-L AF-L buttons locks either the focus or the exposure. You can change which it locks through the custom settings menu.
Shirasagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 6:55 AM   #3

I never use it although I guess there are situations where it would prove useful.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:58 AM   #4

Assuming your D80 works the same as my D50 the best setting is the AE lock hold.
With this setting you can lock exposure then recompose and shoot several pictures. Exposure is locked untill you press the button again. Where as the pressing the shutter button half way only locks exposure until the first pic is taken.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:19 PM   #5

Where locking the exposure would be beneficial would be taking panoramic scenes for example. You would frame the first shot and lock the exposure and then as you continue to pan and take additional shots, your exposure value would not change due to the changing light and you will have an easier time stitching your photos and having them blend together properly.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:48 PM   #6

I don't find an AE lock to be useful because I shoot in manual mode most of the time and therfore exposure is already locked. I also don't find an AF lock all that useful since if I ever need that I just hold down the shutter or flick the lens into manual focus mode. I personally choose to have that button as a flash value lock. I use TTL flash most often, and the FV lock is useful so that my exposures stay the same and to prevent people/animals from blinking because of the preflashes.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:51 PM   #7

Almost forgot... congratulations on your D80 purchase and your English is fantastic! Be sure to post some pictures from your beautiful country for us soon!
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:21 AM   #8

There are several option about AE/AF . Most usefull option is AE and AF lock option and thif is my default set. I use one point auto focus, which is fastest and easy way to focus object and calculate exposure, pressing shutter halfway. Keeping shuter pressed halfway, you can easy recompose pic and press shutter fully. This way is used from period of first autofocus camera with two steps shutter.
Note , AElock option in the menu, will lock exposure when you press AE-L/AF-L button once, and keep it until you press again!
emes is offline   Reply With Quote