Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:19 AM   #1

Help! I demo'd a D40 and loved its size and ease of use and the pictures were great. So I thought if D40 is good, D40X must be better. What do I sacrificve by going to 10 mp? I saw one reviewer say the light sensitivity on the D40X is less than D40. That doesn't sound good Is it true? How big a deal is that if I'm going to be using18-135 non-VR lens and 70-300 VR lenses? I generally shoot outdoors at sporting events (rowing) or sceneryor indoors at family gatherings. I rarely print pictures; most of the time, I look at them on a 17 inch computer monitor. It seems like there is a huge debate about the "myth of megapixels". All I want is to be satisfied that I haven't sacrificed picture quality to save a few bucks. Will I see any appreciable difference with 4 extra megapixels? If I decide to go with 10 mp, should I wait for the D60? Thanks!
wevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:43 AM   #2

I don't think you're sacrificing anything in picture quality. The D40x may show a bit more noise at high ISO's, but you do get a slight gain in resolution. That gives you a bit more latitude for cropping. All other things being equal, I'd take the camera with higher megapixels, and in this case nearly everything is equal.

In terms of the D60, it's only a slight update. You get (i would assume) improved image quality (it's using the latest sensor and technology), dust removal, and active D-lighting. Is it significant...probably not, but I probably take the newer camera unless you get a good deal on the D40x.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3

Thanks. Do you know anything about the claimed lower light sensitivity? I read it on this site: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm Since I'm not going to spend the thousands necessary to get a super fast lens, does this make the lower light sensitivity more of an issue between 40 and 40X?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:33 PM   #4

wevman wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. Do you know anything about the claimed lower light sensitivity? I read it on this site: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm Since I'm not going to spend the thousands necessary to get a super fast lens, does this make the lower light sensitivity more of an issue between 40 and 40
I would consider that point a plus. Most people clamored for an ISO of 100, equating that with lower noise. Being able to use 100 iso is an advantage in outdoor situations where you want to use larger aperatures for Depth of field control, such as portraits in bright light where you want the background blurred. With a "lower" sensitivity such as 200, you are forced to either stop down, (which increases depth of field) to prevent over exposure, or use ND filters to reduce the amount of light coming in.A lower ISO will also typically have less noise.

This doesn't mean the D60 is less sensitive to light..you still have access to ISO 200 if you want or need it. Lower available iso's just give you more flexibility in my opinion.

Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:24 AM   #5

Thanks. Tha makes more sense to me. One other question if you don't mind. I plan to get a 70-300 VR lens and an 18-135 non-VR lens (Nikon doesn't make this lens in VR). Will I wish I'd gotten a differentlens that had VR?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:36 AM   #6

VR is a helpful feature, but not the be all and end all feature. Technique is still important, if not the most important part of getting good images. You're technique will need to be very good on the long end of the 18-135 to get sharp images. I don't think VR is all that important from 18-about 80mm. Nikon only offer an 18-55 or 18-200 in vr at shorter focal lengths so there aren't alot of choices. You have the 70-300 with VR that covers the troublesome ranges, so I think you're going to be ok with the lenses you have.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 11:09 PM   #7

im thinking about picking out the d40 over the

does shutter speed really matter?

they say the both have the same body ?and image sensors?
naiveinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 3:35 AM   #8

Here's my humble experience, which I hope could serve as helpful for your choice rather than confusing : ) I used the D40x for some time as a back up for my K10D and I found the metering quite reliable almost under every condition with or without the on board flash, which even made shooting events and parties a breeze! Its being lightweight and thus exteremely portable was also a plus, btw... As rjseeney put above (though in a different context), actually it is technique which matters most, since I saw some unsuccessful results shot with D60 in the forums though it is deemed to be the updated version.

Cheers!
Bahadir
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:51 AM   #9

As I looked deeper at the differences between the cameras, the more I got confused on which one was better to get. Yes the D60 is a slightly better camera, but Rockwell's point was for the extra improvement, it was not worth the extra cost as when you compare the two, because you will not notice any difference in a 4x6 or 5x7 photo. Though there is some truth to that, he also has several high end cameras to work with as well.

If this is your only SLR camera, I would get the D60 over the D40. It gives a slightly better image, and dust removal, and active D-lighting make it a little more update with what is out there. I have a dust particle in my Coolpix 5700 that I can't get out. If it had the dust removal system in place and was able to get rid of that, I would be happy. Not sure if it really affects the photos, but it is an extra nice feature. My position on buying things is to get something a little better than being a little conservative. People are more often sorry that they did not upgrade to something better than buying something a little less.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:21 PM   #10
Administrator

You guys do realize that this thread was first started in February of 2008, right? :-)

IOW, the OP has probably purchased a camera by now.

As for the more recent questions from naiveinlove, the D40 uses a 6MP Sony CCD Sensor (however, Nikon's implementation uses an electronic shutter to allow faster flash sync speeds). The D40x and D60 use a Sony 10MP CCD sensor (although each manufacturer like Nikon, Sony and Pentax using this type of sensor will have different image processing, features, etc.). I don't understand the shutter speed part of the questions, since any of these cameras should need the same shutter speed for proper exposure, given the same lighting conditions, aperture, and ISO speed settings.

The D40 is going to have a bit lower noise at the highest ISO speed settings. However, you get the benefit of more pixels with the D40x or D60. It's probably a "wash" at most viewing or print sizes (the D40 may have a slight advantage at higher ISO speeds, and the D40x and D60 models may have a slight advantage at lower ISO speeds, but they're all close enough to each other that I wouldn't worry too much about the differences overall).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote