Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2008, 1:59 AM   #1

I would like to know what arefavorite / best settings for the D40and what owners use . In particular 11a or 111a color modes seems much thesame to me , custom settings sharpness saturation contrast, also focus settings seems three choices . Exposure / Focus button options, inc locked with shutter button I like / prefer that but is it best option, Seems so many choices would like to know known optimum ones

One other thing I do find 99% of my photos do seem just a tiny bitunderexposed using matrix mode here in the dull grey no sun till june UK ,

:|I shoot mostly buildings , trees . castles, and boats ,street photography and a few family / friends general photos sometime candid,

Alsoin review photo question .whenI go to playback mode all the shooting information shows all over the photos I am viewing on the screenunlessI zoom out a bit, is there a way to stop the info showing in review mode as it is blanking most of the image initially,

BAD BAD SPELLER EXUSE THAT PLEASE.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:15 AM   #2

There is no magic bullet or setting that works on all situations. Color settings are a personal preference....if you like vivid or brighter colors you can punch things up in the custom color menu, as well as sharpness. I tend to prefer to do most of my adjustments in post processing, especially sharpness, as it is easier to control. In fact, if you shoot raw, all the in camera settings aren't applied anyway. Exposure settings really depend on the situation, and every situation is different. Over time, you'll learn how your camera handles certain situations and you can dial your settings in based on experience. Personally, I shoot RAW most of the time, but I keep my camera settings set on defaults.

To remove the image info, just push the up arrow on the direction pad on the back of the camera. You can cycle through different overlays, including highlights, image info, histogram, or nothing at all. This is described in your manual.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 5:34 AM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
There is no magic bullet or setting that works on all situations. Color settings are a personal preference....if you like vivid or brighter colors you can punch things up in the custom color menu, as well as sharpness. I tend to prefer to do most of my adjustments in post processing, especially sharpness, as it is easier to control. In fact, if you shoot raw, all the in camera settings aren't applied anyway. Exposure settings really depend on the situation, and every situation is different. Over time, you'll learn how your camera handles certain situations and you can dial your settings in based on experience. Personally, I shoot RAW most of the time, but I keep my camera settings set on defaults.

To remove the image info, just push the up arrow on the direction pad on the back of the camera. You can cycle through different overlays, including highlights, image info, histogram, or nothing at all. This is described in your manual.
Thank you for your reply I have toaccept then no best settings people recommend for the D40as oftimes mentioned in Point and shoot forums ie F31 G9 FZ50 butRaw is the only /best solution !.

The information for removing Image info ect wasmost helpfull and Ive found the histogram, now to learn how to read that great thanks

Raw is mentioned!But I think it very hard to understand how to use it, whats needed in software ,or programs have not a clue !Even simple Elements 3 0r 4I tried for Jepeg adjustments (I found free trial )confused me greatly such odd terms for tools layers unsharpsect , and I can only just about use/ understandPicassa enough to sharpen and other simple enchancements.

But Raw is for ever so ever soclever guys me think (not presidents or prime ministers I mean ) butlike brain surgeons or rocket scientist:idea:, whilstI am a very average Joe. and if photoshop is what you use to process raw ?thats outside my buget and my ability to ever do Raw I think so .
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 7:20 AM   #4

I believe he meant to review image info.

It is best to shoot what you are interested in but do a test field type study for yourself and change the settings in your camera in various ways to find what image pleases you most. In this way you can get the most of the camera processing than what you are unable to do in post process due to limited budget and/or time to learn post process.

There is no magic formula since everyone has different likes and dislikes. If we didn't then we would not have the latitude that cameras give us now.

You and only you can determine what you like and it won't happen with a magic chart someone has hidden away for settings on any given situation.

Practice, practice, practice. Patience, patience, patience.

A shot here or there won't do. You need to go out and shoot, shoot, shoot. Vary your settings as I mentioned before. Learn everything there is to know about your camera. Everything. Break rules. Experiment.

The final say is in you.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote