Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:38 PM   #1

I did everything twice. I used 2 different memory cards. I finally worked with Nikon on the phone but still the update would not show on my camera. nikon said to send it in and they will update it. That does not seem like a good solution. Anyone else have the problem?
I use an Intel Mac with Tiger installed
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:22 PM   #2

Here is nikon's detailed update page for Windows:

http://www.nikon-euro.com/kdb/en/200...00_win_en.html

And Mac:

http://www.nikon-euro.com/kdb/en/200...00_mac_en.html

Make sure your battery is fully charged. READ INSTRUCTIONS FULLY.

Hope this helps.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 4:31 AM   #3

Caryl,

Can you tell us step by step exactly what you DID..

I don't mean every minute last little detail, but an outline of what/how you did it because I have done other Nikon updates and they went ok...

I had only just downloaded this 1.02 bin file and was thinking of updating tomorrow morning...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:28 AM   #4

All is well now. Nikon called me and told me the instructions were wrong. I am sure they are now updated on the site but I tried to do it with the wrong info. They told me to make a separate file called firmware and put the update in it. That was not so. I would imagine lots of us who tried it as soon as it came out had trouble so they took another look and corrected the error. Whew!
Thank you all for trying to help.
Caryl
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:16 PM   #5

carylwithay wrote:
Quote:
They told me to make a separate file called firmware and put the update in it. That was not so.
Caryl

I take it you meant "they told you to make anseparate FOLDER called "firmware" and put the update in it.

As far as I know (and have done before), you simply put the xxx.bin file (xxx - being the name of the update file) into the memory cards main (root) directory then go into the menu and tell it to update from there. It will see the update xxx.bin file and updateitself. If the xxx.bin file was in a folder of any other name, in your case "firmware", the camera would not know to look for it as it expects to see in in the root directory. It would therefore NOT update itself...

Is the abovecorrect...???

Anyway, I am glad things worked out...
Old Feb 16, 2008, 9:41 AM   #6

Yes, that was what the instructions were before they realized they were wrong. Do not make a firmware folder, just put the update on the card directly.
Caryl
Old Feb 16, 2008, 2:29 PM   #7

Ahhhh- Great,,

I will most likely update tonight. I have a spare CF card somewhere. Thanks Caryl..
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:25 PM   #8

Update went painlessly. I formatted the mem card, copied *.bin file across to card, went into menu, Firmware, Update... Took all of10 maybe 12 seconds then DONE...!!!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:51 PM   #9

The key is the file has to be in the ROOT directory of the memory card (the top level). If you put it in any of the sub folders the carea won't see it.
Zorki1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:10 PM   #10

The D80, now that is a bit more of a pain to update, but only by a factor of two...

First you have to update A***.bin by copying only the 'A' file, then once done, you go back for seconds and do the B***.bin file, making sure to format the card after'A' is done. Now copy 'B' over and do the same update procedure... At first I got a bit confused as to why there were 2 *.bin files - Which one do I use??.. I did the D300 with its single file, moments before ever so painlessly... Then I realized that both files had to be used for the D80... Sweet after that...!!!