Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:14 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 Battery Indicator Issue

Took my D100 out and the battery indicator was 1 notch below "full." I took about 12 pictures (no flash) and "indicator" drops to "empty" battery is now dead. :x

Is this "normal?" Yes, I have another battery but was in a hurry and figured the battery was full and I wouldn't need it so I didn't go back to get it.

From now on I'll carry the spare, but why even bother putting an indicator on the LCD if it is meaningless? This has happened before ... always goes down 1 "notch" then is dead a few shots later.

By the way .... incredible camera .... these minor issues just aggravate me. :roll:
EdFeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:41 PM   #2

How new was the battery? How many times have you charged it?

I've never heard of this problem, but I also haven't paid that much attention in a while (since I went with the 10D instead of the D100.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:43 PM   #3

Camera and battery are just about brand new. Charged a couple times.
EdFeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 7:25 PM   #4

Exactly how much usage do you get from the camera prior to the battery indicator dropping one notch? I usually can go a whole wedding w/o changing batteries, except very demanding ones (10-13 hours shooting w/ breaks in between, and lots of reviewing when not shooting), then I pop in a spare and the D100 is ready to go again. If this problem persists, I suggest having it checked out, maybe there is a glitch with a voltage sensor in the camera, or something like that. Should the battery contact be dirty, try cleaning them with a cottom swab or the tip of your shirt. When the battery indicator goes down one notch I pull out the spare and switch. I know that very soon the camera will run out of juice. How is your camera set up, do you have the image review turned on? I would turn it off, slows down the camera and uses up more battery than necessary.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2003, 6:38 PM   #5

i have the same problem... when one notch goes away... it is practically empty
LCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 6:39 AM   #6

If your cameras and batteries are fairly new (within 2-3 months of purchase), I would take them back to the shop to have them checked. I could be somthing in the camera draining the battery or just a faulty battery.

To answer the question... No, its not normal for it to go dead so fast. You should get about 400-500 shots per charge without using the internal flash. At least, thats what I'm getting with my D100 using Nikon EN-EL3s.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:03 PM   #7

I have quite the opposite problem. My battery seems to last forever. Last night at our fire department's open house I shot about 70 pics, which brings my total up to about 350-400 pics since I got it Sept. 5th. I charged the battery when I got the camera and will probably have to charge it for the next time I use it. Like everyone says, I don't have my image review on, but I have done the slide show with it a couple of times.
I'm also a firm believer in letting the battery drain fully so it doesn't build a "memory". I know with older NiCd's this was true. However with the newer batteries, it may not really apply. But I still let it drain fully.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 4:23 AM   #8

I too have the same issue. The Camera and Battery are brand new and the battery has been charged one time.

I don't believe there is a drain, as I got well over 400 shots off - the problem is that at 401 the battery showed full, at 402 it was dead ---- no middle ground -- no count down -- dead.
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 2:11 AM   #9

Just saw this post at dpreview.com warning of imitation nikon batteries. Perhaps this may be the problem?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0311/03...nbatteries.asp
jacq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2003, 11:50 AM   #10

The EN-EL3 Li-ion battery will last a long time but when you see the indicator drop even one bar it will drop rapedly after that.
In my experence Li-ion batteries in general are just like that they hold good power till then end but will drop fast when it does go low.
jtgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote