Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:01 PM   #1

Now I am a total novice just starting to push into Photoshop and working on my images created by my beloved D40X.

I've started to shoot raw as a friend has told that the best way to shoot so that I can tweek the images easier afterwards. I've loaded my images into Adobe Bridge where they show as a .NEF file. On selecting these though it doesn't open it in photoshop but shows it as a file that will not work in photoshop.

I hope that this question is in the right area - can't find any others with regard to Photoshop. I know the forums all about the camera, I was just wondering if its a setting on the camera I can tweek or if Nikon have a program that will help.

As always thanks in advance.
Platti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:11 PM   #2

Sounds like you are using an older version of PS (not CS3). Adobe has chosen NOT add additional RAW support to PSCS2 and earlier versions. You can download the free Adobe DNG converter from the Adobe website. This will solve your problem to some extent. The converter file is buried inside a .zip file with PSCS3 upgrades. It's easy to extract only the DNG file, if you are comfortable with WinZip or other such programs.
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 8:11 PM   #3

Platti, as Delos says, if you have an older version of Photoshop than CS3, you have to use a workaround to open RAW files from the D40x. Here is a link to another forum where this is discussed somewhat and where there is a link to download the latest DNG converter which is included with Adobe Camera Raw. You won't be installing the Camera Raw pluggin, only the DNG part of the download. Then you convert all of your D40x RAWs to DNG format and import the DNG's into CS2's Camera Raw to work on them. The Adobe site or a web search will show you how to use the DNG converter.
The other alternative is paying for the CS3 upgrade.

http://objectmix.com/adobe-photoshop...onversion.html

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:53 PM   #4

What about Paint Shop Pro? I have PSP 10. I can't use X2 because I don't have XP.

I just shot, for the first time today, some pics in RAW on my D40. How can I view them?

I should have checked first but I didn't think this would be a problem since PSP 10 lists NEF as one of the readable formats.
ironalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:01 PM   #5

I don't pretend to know anything about PSP, but with just about every other editor I've heard described, you need a specific update for a specific camera in order to view/convert RAW files from that camera. All Nikon cameras produce RAW files with a .NEF extension, but it seems that there are certain "flavors" of NEF. If your version of PSP is too old to support the D40 and no updates are available that would add this support, I guess that you'd have to either upgrade your copy of PSP or use a separate utility to do RAW conversion.

Nikon doesn't include even a basic RAW converter with a $600.00 camera? My old Nikon p&s included a basic converter...

Nikon has Nikon Capture for conversion of DX series cameras, but I don't know what OS's it runs on besides XP. Look into the latest versions of Picasa and Irfanview. They're free and I've heard that one or both of them allow viewing RAW files from a wide range of cameras. There are some free RAW converters, too, that do a pretty good job -- ufRAW and RAW Therapee among them. There must be something out of this bunch that you can use.

There are some advantages to shooting RAW, but right now you're seeing one of the disadvantages! :sad:

Grant
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:08 PM   #6

I ran into the same problem.

I have PS CS. and PSE4.

I downloaded a free 30 day trial of PS Elements 6. Worked .Nef Raw perfectly.

I then bought the PS E6 online.

Nicholas
nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:18 PM   #7

I did a further search and went to Nikon's site. When you register your camera that gives you access to download their Picture Project software to work with the .nef files.

It has very basic controls and adjustments. You can then convert to .jpg or .tif files for use in other programs. Kind of defeats the purpose of .raw.

I suppose I will shoot in .raw in certain circumstances but use .jpg for most of my shooting.

BTW, the D40 is pretty awesome for what I paid for it. Under $450 for the body and two lenses, new with US warranty.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:35 AM   #8

ironalec, good to see that you've found a free solution! If Picture Project let's you save to 16-bit .tiff, that could still give you a good leg up on maintaining quality with shots that need a lot of work as compared to 8-bit .jpeg. Won't help much if your version of PSP has really limited support for 16-bit files...

Since you are now using a stand-alone app for RAW anyway, and if you find yourself dissatisfied with the limited conversion options, you should still check out the free converters that I mentioned in my previous post. They offer better-than-basic control options.

Grant
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:51 AM   #9

Thanks, Granthagen.

I downloaded RAW Therapee. It's a lot simpler than the bloated software from Nikon. The Nikon software does have some neat stuff that I will probably never use.

Time to play with my photos to see what Therapee can do.

Ray

Just to add. The nikon software has a bad habit of saving the image with any changes you made without asking. If you change color or highlights and then click to another image it automatically saves it with the new settings. You can't revert before saving. I am sure there is a way I just haven't found it yet.

OTOH, Therapee let's you do a lot more a lot quicker.

Thanks, again.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:36 PM   #10

I had to download the updates before I could process D300/D3 raw files in CS3.
Valleyjim is offline   Reply With Quote