Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1

Just heard from another forum that DigitalRev.com is already shipping the D60 and they've got anice little hands-on video showing the camera as well....quite tempting and its got me wondering.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/article.php?article_id=354

I've read around the web and alot of people call the D60 a minor upgrade to the D40x, I'm sure Nikon knows this but is there any reasoning why they adopted this approach for the D60? If so, who would be interested in this camera and why?

With the onslaught of larger LCDs at 3-inch and live-view, i was expecting Nikon to give the same treatment to the D60 which they did brilliantly for the D300 and D3, but unfortunately they didn't for the D60. The D60 dust-reduction systemsounds good though...

cklam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:47 PM   #2

It's true that the D60 only appears to be a minor upgrade. I'm sure the processing algorithms are a bit better, and typically the sensor improves some on the newer models. The D60's smallish size limits the enhancements that can be added to the body, especially the larger LCD. I think Nikon's approach is to really show differentiation between it's entry level cameras and higher end cameras. It also appears that the update schedule is much quicker in the low end...the D40x came out only months after the D40. It will be interesting to see what the D80's replacement will look like later this year (assuming it get's released this year). The D60 will appeal to those folks stepping up to a DSLR...I doubt many experienced users will opt for the D60.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:37 PM   #3
Administrator

I wouldn't take the original poster's question too seriously. If you'll notice the "banned" by their member name, it's because this poster was spamming our forums.

Two different member names, posting from the same address, were making posts with links to the same equipment vendor (the one that is now shown as "Filtered_Due_to_Spam"), or links to videos from this same vendor, in most of their posts.

These same posters were doing this regarding other camera gear, too (for example, posting a link to a video about the Sony A200 earlier in that had the URL to this equipment vendor's web site shown).

IOW, they were posing as members interested in knowing more about new cameras in order to advertise their site here.

I just hadn't removed this thread yet.

But, "Any reason to get a D60?" does make a good topic for discussion. So, I'll leave this thread for now (minus the links to the vendor's web site). ;-

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 6:45 AM   #4

I didn't notice that he was banned until after I posted.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:09 AM   #5

I didn't notice it until after Jim pointed it out!
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 5:48 PM   #6

Well, let me be the first one with a good reason. I'm getting one in a couple of days. Why? Not only because of the different innovations but because the difference in price between D40X and D60 body only, is insignificant. I have a D70s and it's the perfect solution to a second body without spending a lot of money.
olebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2008, 6:21 PM   #7
Administrator

olebrat wrote:
Quote:
... I have a D70s and it's the perfect solution to a second body without spending a lot of money.
Just to make sure you know about it... The D60 does not have a focus motor built in, so you'll need lenses that do if you want Autofocus. If your existing lenses are all Af-S type lenses, then you're all set.

If not, you may want to take into consideration that manual focus may be needed on a number of popular Autofocus lenses on a D40, D40x, or D60 (although more and more new lenses are coming with focus motors built in for compatibility with the newer Nikon models without a focus motor in their body).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote