Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:08 AM   #1

Default What format is best - Raw or Jpeg?

Hi all,
First thanks for the advice - I bought the D100 and am very pleased.

One thing that I am unclear on is - what is the best image format to shoot? Raw or Jpeg? Or does it depend upon the kind of pictures being taken?

Lastly - One of my first pictures (Pix of a pink flower) seems very bright (the printed image [using Cannon 9100] looks far brighter than the actual flower) - do I need to configure my D100 to correct this flaw?

The printed photo also seems to have parallel lines (very dim - but visible) spaced exactly 1/4" apart from top to bottom [almost looks like a grid] - what is that from?????

Cheers
Eric
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2003, 10:55 AM   #2

RAW allows a greater latitude in the beginning of post processing. mainly adjusting for over/underexposure of the image as much as 2 stips without jumping through hoops in PS just using a RAW converter. this is just one of a few things that can be done.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 12:38 PM   #3

Raw is best for my own process with nikonview edit OR adobe Raw plug-in for Photoshop.

I understand you talk about print out there 1/4 wide space both side. Because it's 35mm film negative size. Really it is 4x6 perfect size. For example, you put full image (no crop) into photoshop then go print, first setup print for 4x6 layout THEN click box for FIT SIZE ON PAGE. it perfect 4x6.

For 5x7 or 10x8, well then you need CROP your own in Photoshop crop size.

For bright colors or whatever, did you setup color mode sRGB I or sRGB II or Adobe RGB ? I used Adobe RGB.

Good Luck
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 6:32 AM   #4

I use RAW with my D100, and Nikon Capture Editor for all of my post processing onto the Internet (and for prints). I can get away with this as I very rarely use layers etc, so I don't need these features of Photoshop Elements.

As well as the exposure control etc mentioned in the previous postings, I also use Capture Editor to change the colour space when needed (I use Adobe in the camera then change to sRGB for the Internet).
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:08 AM   #5

Default Raw vs. Comp Raw

[quote="checklg"]I use RAW with my D100, and Nikon Capture Editor for all of my post processing onto the Internet (and for prints). I can get away with this as I very rarely use layers etc, so I don't need these features of Photoshop Elements.

Are you using Raw or Comp Raw?
Outside of Size, are there any pro's and con's?
When using Raw (or Comp Raw) - layering in Photoshop is not possible - why?

If I don't want to lose photoshop functionality, but yet want the best image possible should I be using TIFF (or what?) instead of Raw??

Thanks!
eriseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:04 AM   #6

when you go to PS you will convert to another format of your choice such as tiff or jpg using a converter of your choice ARC C1 Nikons converter etc etc.
you then will have full functionality of PS

the RAW file is your original unprocessed image. you don't want to mess with it. that is the archive item.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:01 AM   #7

Those faint lines are from your printer, I could be wrong on this, but I remember reading somewhere Canon printers did have a problem with vertical patterns forming on prints. Or it could be that you have a problem with your inkjet cartridge, it needs cleaning or alignment.

Regarding your main question, shooting raw is not necessarily better, capacity wise, as it produces 9.4 - 9.7MB files as opposed to smaller jpg's. But shooting in raw you get a bit of leniency in the highlights of a picture, meaning you can pull back just a tad bit more detail from highlights that would otherwise be blown in a jpg. Also, if you shoot raw you have the option to convert it to a higher quality jpg with less compression than in camera, using either the Photoshop plugin offered by Nikon, Nikon Capture, or a myriad of other raw converters out there. Personally I use Capture because of the batch feature it posesses, and its simple interface (I didn't like Bibble, another raw converter, for its complicated and non intuitive interface). I use the batch to process a lot of nef's into jpg's, using either auto settings, or creating my own set of parameters for conversion. The jpg's converted this way are almost twice as big (file size wise) at 4 - 5MB each as opposed to the usual 2 - 3MB straight out of camera. White balance too can be adjusted "after the fact", as well as noise reduction and better sharpening than in-camera. I use raw for my own shootings, jpg's on the job, and raw when I know I will be making big enlargements.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:09 AM   #8

Don't bother with TIFF, takes a long time to write in camera, but compressed NEF takes even longer to process and write. If you want to retain Photoshop functionality you can use Adobe's Camera Raw plugin. It will give you far more control over the NEF file than Nikon PS plugin would, and it's cheaper than Nikon Capture, but not by much.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote