Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:42 AM   #1

I have been shooting nikon for about 30 years. I have never had a problem. My old timers are FG models and have been very-very dependable. Never had to repair anything but the rewind lever and it just wore out from time, being tugged and wound. Then I bought my wife the N-80. I and she loved it but when the digital age came about all my cameras even my Mamiya's became old real fast. It was time to upgrade. I purchased a D-80. It seemed to have all the features I needed. Manual overrides mainly. I'm an old timer and like to set my own shutter speeds and F-stops. Ok here is the meat of my question, it has the red eye reduction flash on it that I hate! When I press my shutter button I expect the camera to take the picture not preflash then take the shot. Waiting for this stupid feature just ruins spontanious photos. How, after reading the whole manual, do I shut this feature off? Not used to this electronic stuff. All my stuff is manual. I do like the auto focus cause my site isn't what it used to be. Can anyone help a long winded old timer?
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:10 AM   #2

Hold down the flash exposure compensation button. You will see an eye in the top LCD. While still holding the flash exposure compensation button, turn the rear command dial until the eye goes away.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Just in case you're not clear the button you hold down is the same button that pops the flash up.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:16 AM   #4

Thank you for your help but.........it didn't work! The stupid light still pops on. You don't know how close I am to returning this thing! It's really ticking me off. Now I can't get my flash units to fire. They are nikon dedicated. Really having a time. But any help will be appreciated.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:55 AM   #5

Are you sure it's the red eye flash?? When you followed David's instructions, (holding presing the flash button, and rotating the rear command dial), on the top lcd, you should only see a flash symbol. You shouldn't see the eye or rear or slow. If you only see the flash symbol in the lcd, your camera is set up correctly and you shouldn't see a series of preflashes. All DSLR's use a slight, quick preflash to judge exposure, but usually this is imperceptible to most people and shouldn't slow down performance.

It could be you're seeing the focus assist lamp coming on if you are shooting in low light. the focus assist lamp is beween the shutter button and the lens on the right side of the camera body, and is activated to help the camer achieve focus in low light. This can be turned off in the menu's.

Which Nikon flash units are you using. Only the SB600, 800, and 400 are fully compatible with Nikon DSLR's. Any older flash has to be used in manual mode.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 4:37 PM   #6

I purchased a book by Magic Lantern Guides on the N-80 and your comments and reading the book has helped a ton. You was correct RJS, it was the AF/ assist light not the red eye thing I was seeing. Still don't lick it much but I was able to disable this feature and can turn it back on if I need it. Most portrait settings or weddings it really shouldn't be much a problem, fingers crossed. I was shooting some pictures today with good light conditions and the puppy performed like a Nikon. So I think I'll keep it, just need to keep learning the electronics and I think it will do what I want it to. Oh and I also took your suggestion and shot the flash on manual and it did work but it wasn'tin-syncwith the camera so I may have to purchase a new flash system or do some more reading until so I can shoot on manual just like the ole days.
Old Mar 3, 2008, 8:13 AM   #7

I would definitely look into either the SB600 or SB800. They work flawlessly with digital bodies, and can be used on your old film bodies as well. Nikon's flash system is the best out there and these flashes take so much of the guesswork out of the equation. Being able to easily set up multiple off camera flashes has been a godsend to me.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:12 AM   #8

hi! im a newbie to using a dslr camera. i have aNIkon D80,i read the manual and tried out the continous mode. i did what the manual says, press the continous mode until the continous icon shows then press the shutter. but i dont get continous shot. did i miss something?
yellowlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 9:19 AM   #9

Hey yellowlamb, are you holding down the shutter button while using continuous mode? You must hold down the shutter button for as long as you want pictures taken. When you release the shutter button the camera will stop taking photos.
Shirasagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:48 AM   #10

tnx , i will try that. i'll update you :-)
yellowlamb is offline   Reply With Quote